The Giant Alien

Not so far away...

Despite the assumption made by the mercenaries, the planet was not uninhabited. Situated within the center of the vast forest, fed by freshwater springs, was an alien city called Anashee. In this city lived a flying race of humanoids known as the Ansheetans. The Ansheetans were only slightly technologically advanced, focusing most of their technology toward harvesting the resources of their planet and modest plasma and energy weaponry.

A uniqueness the Ansheetans endowed was flight due to their ability to manipulate the gravity around their bodies. Of course, flight wasn't an inherent ability for every Ansheetan and had to be practiced in order to attain any sort of control. Most could only fly a short distance and achieve a minimal height. Only a select few of their kind were exceptional in their flying ability and they became the Elite Flight Patrol or EFP. They were highly regarded amongst their fellow Asheetans since they were responsible for the protection of their people and also the locating of new resources.

One such EFP scout was a lavender-skinned female named Anu. She had a shock of silvery white plumage atop her head and along the back of her neck, that resembled hair. Large, bright blue, almond-shaped eyes, barely a nose to speak of, and delicate thin lips completed her visage. Like most all members of her species she was slightly built with wispy, delicate limbs and long pointed antennae-like ears that followed the curve of her head.

Anu was a positive individual, always hoping for the best even in the face of adversity. She was also hopelessly curious and bold with a sharp intelligence. If not for her anxiety wrecking her flying ability, she would be a model EFP member. However, because of her anxiety, Anu wasn't the best of the EFP. Granted, she was talented enough to join...but just barely. Her control of her gravitational field was spotty, especially when she got stressed. When she was in tune with it, she was one of the best fliers in her squad, but her inconsistency continually threw her to the bottom of her class. As such she was relegated to that of a scout rather than a combatant.

Today, Anu flew amid the forest, checking on certain areas that were designated to her patrol; searching for anything amiss. Though there weren't many notable threats inhabiting their wooded kingdom, there were the vicious bandits that inhabited the outlying edges of their lands.

The bandits were not of Anashee, but from other parts of their planet. They were known as the Rogashay or Rog Bandits. They were physically much taller and stronger than the more frailly built Ansheetans, but they could not fly. Instead they mastered and rode the great Sand Dragons which were three times their size and carnivorous.

Long ago, they had tried to invade Anashee and take control of their lands, but the attempt was thwarted thanks to the more advanced Anashee forces. They never attempted another invasion, but anyone traveling beyond the forest and along the outskirts risked everything to do so. However, the Rog Bandits hadn't been reported or seen for many patrols. Anu had never seen a Rog Bandit in real life; only in texts and illustrations of the history of their people, but she didn't hope to see one on her patrols.

Typically, everything was the same. Her last stop before heading back was the Hitel pond near the edge of the wasteland. However, when she arrived, she was stunned. Throwing her hands out in front of her she halted abruptly in midair.

The pond was dry.

Holding her hands at her sides she gradually descended into the rocky center of the hole that was once Hitel pond. There were a few shallow puddles left between the rocks but that was all. She pointed her hands down and shot up higher...a bit faster than she wanted.

She halted shakily and mentally coached herself, "Easy Anu. Easy. Calm. You fly terribly when you're stressed."

Slowly, Anu turned to see around the pond. Next to it was a large impression and then strange markings in the ground. Carefully she flew down to inspect the impressions when something touched her slender back. She screamed and haphazardly wheeled around.