The Lake

In the city of Anashee, after much explanation...

Traynar was out of breath explaining the whole scenario to the Council before him. The Council was comprised of some of the most intelligent, powerful, and wisest members of the Anashee society with the eldest and most powerful female Elder Felreh leading. Many looked skeptical but still concerned.

"And you say it is at Bent Peak as we speak?"  the Elder confirmed.

Traynar nodded.

"Did you see our chrysalis?" the family from before called out with hope.

"No. But, my mate Anu is keeping watch to make sure it doesn't go anywhere."

"Did it appear aggressive?" Madala the female leader of the EFP and defense of Anashee tried to clarify with her bluish colored plumage raised.

Traynar shook his head, "Not that I could tell. It was sleeping. But it's the biggest thing I've ever seen in my life. I...I can't even begin to comprehend the strength it possesses."

The five Council members conferred quietly amongst themselves for several minutes. The gathered crowd in the chamber sat quiet and waited.

After a time Elder Felreh stood, "We have come to a decision. We will not interact, nor engage this creature. For all it knows, we do not exist. We will close the gates of Anashee and instill a ban on all travel outside the city until this creature moves on."

"What of our young one? That monster still has her chrysalis! Will you do nothing to rescue her?" the elder male of the family protested.

Elder Felreh addressed him calmly yet firmly, "We must ascertain where your chrysalis is first. If this creature does indeed have it, we will plan its recovery. I don't want to reveal our existence prematurely if it doesn't have the chrysalis."

"But what if it comes to Anashee? What will we do?" someone asked aloud.

Elder Felreh nodded, "We will plan for that in the meantime. Hopefully, it will never know we exist and move on." She turned to Madala, "Assemble your best fliers and station them at key points around Anashee. If this creature comes this way we must know as soon as possible. But do not be seen."

Madala nodded and abruptly left. Traynar followed her, "What about Anu? She's still out there with it!"

The commander thought a moment, "We'll get to her by morning. It's too dangerous to fly by night. Come on. We have plans to make."

...

Morning...

Anu had watched the sleeping giant throughout the hours of night and light was beginning to glow beyond the forest. It appeared to be in a deep sleep and as time dragged on, Anu developed a bold idea. She needed to ascertain if the creature had the precious chrysalis and since it was asleep, she could conduct a quick search. But that would require a very up-close inspection...a very dangerous endeavor.

However, she knew if that had been her chrysalis, she'd want everything done to get it back safely. She closed her eyes, steadied her breathing, and quickly flew from her tree, up the hill, and toward the sleeping giant.

As she drew near, her guts tightened with fear as the alien grew bigger and bigger still. She blinked harshly, to keep her focus on flying and not fear. The giant alien was laying down, back to the steep base of Bent Peak, using its arms as a pillow. Its massive chest rose and fell with deep, hollow breaths; like wind rushing through an empty house. Anu flew over the titanic figure and then flew in closer to search for the chrysalis.