Making Amends

Anu and Traynar were trying to get Merco to stop and not leave, but the giant alien was not being deterred as he slid sideways through the outer 'gates' of Anashee. They didn't know what had happened to make Merco leave in such a hurry.

Just then, half bouncing along the ground and half flying, Seraysa came rushing up to them, "Merco! Please! Come back!"

But even she wasn't getting his attention.

Anu met the young female in the air, "Seraysa, what happened?"

"It-it wasn't his fault!" she was out of breath and seemed on the verge of crying. "He was having a bad dream and accidentally...broke some things."

Traynar looked to the city and then to her, "Like he was fighting someone."

"I-I think so."

"Just like in the canyon. We've seen him do that before." Traynar explained, "Was anyone hurt?"

"Verin got cut when he was trying to unhook Merco from the probes. I don't think anyone was hurt but he destroyed some buildings." Seraysa shook her head, "He didn't mean to!"

Anu looked off to Anashee, "Seraysa, Traynar, go back to Anashee and tell the Elder of this. I will find him and try to get him to come back."

Though it was apparent the young female wanted to go after Merco too, she knew she couldn't fly well enough to keep up with him. She reluctantly nodded as Anu took off through the rock 'gate'.

Anu exited on the other side, eyes darting. Of course, Merco wasn't hard to follow; she could see him a long way away. He'd put quite a distance between him and Anashee already in such a short amount of time; not surprising given his massive stride. With a quick burst of speed, Anu flew after him. He was wading through the forest when she finally caught up to him.

"Merco, please wait! You don't have to go!"

He briefly paused to look at her, "It's for the best, Anu. Please go home and leave me alone."

He resumed walking but Anu floated in front of him, flying backward as she talked, "We know you didn't mean to do that, Merco."

"You might not...but I don't think the rest of Anashee will see it that way." Merco replied, "In just a few seconds I destroyed someone's livelihood and I got Verin hurt...I can't let my guard down for one second or I could kill someone. It's safer if I just stay away."

"You have to come back, Merco. You can't just leave like this!"

"Anu, I appreciate your support for me. I do. But please, just go home."

With persistence she flew in close, put her hands to his forehead, and pushed with all her might. He kept moving, as unaffected as if a butterfly had landed on his forehead.

"Merco!" she shouted as she pushed, "Stop."

But he kept walking not dissuaded by her insistence. Eventually his hand came up and gently plucked her out of the air. She struggled a bit in his gentle hold.

Finally, she decided she'd just have to lie a bit to him, "Merco, I'm your ambassador. I have to bring you back or I'm going to get in trouble! And not going back would be an insult."

Merco stopped slowly, glancing at her as he opened his hand to let her go. She floated up to his eyes with plumage raised and arms crossed. A deep sigh rolled out of him as a guilty look crossed his face.

"I...suppose it would be better to apologize in person." He said with defeat. "I don't want you or Pixie to be in trouble on my account."

Anu felt relief sweep through her at his change of heart. Carefully she landed on his shoulder and sat, "Thank you, Merco."