Chapter 16

A couple of days had passed and since then Minji had just been trying to keep a smile on and her mind busy. Celebrating Do San's birthday especially helped to see that the two were now back on track to getting back together but something was bothering Minji deep down.

The fact that when Do San does leave to go to the states. Would they want to be in a long-distance relationship?

Minji had texted Do San to meet up with her at a local restaurant for some lunch just to talk. And for Minji to break the news to him. It's not that she wasn't willing to try the long-distance it's just she didn't want to be a burden on him. And not being able to see your significant other for months or years at a time can really strain the relationship. So in her mind, it's best to just cut things off where they are and maybe in the future they can find one another again.

Putting on her final touches on her makeup Minji looked herself in the mirror and sighed "I'm sorry Do San" whispering to herself. She then got on the bus to meet up with Do San at the restaurant. She noticed Do San had some scraps on his face "What happened to your face?" lifting his chin a little bit. 

Do San wanting to brush it off her put his hand up to the scratches "Well...I fell"

"You too?" she muttered and putting two and two together "You two had a fight" awkwardly clearing his throat Do San gestured for her to go in first and take a seat. Looking at the menu the two made small talk here and there talking about nothing but work-related things. Do San took out some books about takeovers in a contract. He kept on trying to tell her some plans on ways for them to get out of the contract when Minji just couldn't take it anymore.

"Do San" she said a little loud but still quiet enough for only the two of them to hear. 

Making him stop mid-thought. Giving him a smile  "When did you realize you were good at coding?" being slightly thrown off by her question he had to think for a second. "Probably when I was 13. Anyways I read"

"But when did you know you were good?" cutting up some of her food. "Uh, when I had to solve this complicated maze and figure out the algorithms for it" trying to get back to the topic at hand but Minji wanted to keep this conversation going.

"And what do you think are the chances of such a genius like you be recognized by someone as competent as Alex" not really knowing where she was going with this Do San tried to stop her. "Minji" urging her

But she continued on "maybe 1 in a million? It's nearly impossible. Most geniuses fail to beat the odds and are never discovered. You were one of them until recently" looking at him. He then just went back to his book flipping through his book. Minji not wanting to sound harsh she just closed it for him giving no choice but to listen to her fully.

"It might be harder than winning the lottery. You shouldn't miss it"

Kind of having a feeling of where this was going "Chances? The chances of any two people meeting are equal. It's equally incredible. Also, I'm worthless at everything except coding. My language skills are pathetic. I don't even know metaphors. I suck at art, music, and sports. I'm no genius. I'm a moron if anything. Do you understand me?"

"Do San"

Getting up from his seat "This place suffocates me. I'll wait outside" rushing to pack up his things and getting out. Minji followed him close behind with paying for the bill of course which was just some water and side dishes.

Chasing after him she grabbed his hand "Don't you get what I'm trying to say to you?" he turned to her "I do. Would you go if it were you? To give up the team and NoonGil?"

From her silence, he knew she would do the same thing as him "But you got chosen by the big shot not me. They want you." her eyes pleading to him. 

"But I don't want to go. I like it here" holding on to her hand. Thinking about it for a second "Are you breaking up with me?" she couldn't even look him in the eyes when he said that. Closing her eyes with a tear rolling down her cheek. Blinking them away as best as she could she had to look at him. 

"We're not kids anymore Do San

"We're not kids anymore Do San. Dreams don't last forever" pulling out her old high school journal and putting it in his hand to give to him. Sniffling a little "I want you to have this there's something in there I want you to read" 

"Minji. Please" his voice breaking she didn't want to do this in the slightest but she saw that breaking up with him was for the best. "I'm sorry" shaking her head she hesitates but put a comforting hand on his cheek and gives him one last hug before she lets go and starts walking back to the bus stop.

When she got a good distance away "Is that why you wanted to meet up? You're were planning this the whole time" Keeping herself from sobbing Minji put her hand over her mouth she just had to say the truth "Yes" and continued on walking not turning back once. Her emotions were drained not caring if the rain starting to poor. She couldn't hold it any longer and just start to breakdown at the bus stop. Minji eventually got home and didn't feel like doing anything at all. She just sat by the window looking out without any thoughts in her head.

It was Minji's last day at SandBox she was in the main lobby waiting it out before going up to the office to avoid seeing the others. Standing looking at the girl on the swing, SandBox's logo she just thought back to the times she's had here.

Until she felt a presence next to her. She turned and noticed "Oh, hello" bowing to the lady. "I heard that you're the girl on the swing?" Ms. Yoon asking her. "How did you know that?" surprised by her question.

"Won In Jae told me"

Not wanting to seem shocked "Did she really?" Ms. Yoon nodded her head "So your nanny spread the sand under the swing"

"Did she also tell you that?"

"No, I heard it directly from her" thinking back to when she met her at that corn dog stand all those years ago. "You did?"

"I loved that story so much that I started this place," Minji thought about that day. "She wanted to teach you how to swing without getting hurt. I could relate to that. But turns out it's much harder to convey the way I feel than I expected" the woman smiled to herself. "Thank you" was all she could think of and the two parted ways. Minji then got to the office and opened it's doors to see everyone already packed up their personal belongings.

Walking to her desk she looked around and picked up a name tag that had her's and the company name on it. Slowly packing up her things she noticed a frame on her desk, picking it up it was their group photo when they first were getting to know one another.

That very night Minji stayed up most of the night looking for new job offers. Looking everywhere she then noticed a familiar name and logo wanting to hire a developer and strategic manager Thinking back to her conversation with Ji Pyeong "If you can't beat them join them" his voice echoing in her head.

Filling out the paperwork online she then was scheduled for a job interview the following day. Standing in front of the door she was nervously patting her hands dry until she was called in. Everyone was staring at her she couldn't help but feel small. Soon In Jae started off the interviewing process.