18. Gone

Everyone's stood frozen in their places, jaw dropped and horror-filled in their eyes. They were shocked beyond words could explain, and that wasn't because of the message, that was because of who that servant was.

"Max!"

"NO! MAX! A...Alec... Max... He has Max...."

Alec was still frozen, his eyes trailing over the blank screen where he had seen his brother just a second ago. Whatever Izzy said had gone to deaf ears as his brain wasn't able to work anymore. "Max..." he whispered.

"Alexander! Hey, look at me!" Magnus shook his husband's shoulder to get him out of the trance and as he did, he noticed the worried golden eyes that were conveying the fear he wasn't letting on. "Nothing will happen to him okay? We'll find him!"

"But... Magnus, h...how.... how that Kasper was able to get to him!? I..."

"Alec, Max was in LA institute with Robert, right!?" Jace questioned.

"We should go to LA institute, big brother. First Julian, now he has Max... if we don't rush we don't know what he'll do."

Alec nodded and was about to say something when Stefan spoke. "Guys I understand your worry but please think before making any rushed decision. It's Kasper we're talking about. There's a possibility that he's playing with our minds. That might not be your brother but rather a shapeshifter and he's leading us into a trap. We shouldn't rush."

"But what if that's Max Stefan!?" Simon snapped. "What if he'll kill him like he killed Julian!? What will be your opinion then!?"

"I'm not saying not to do anything Simon. I'm just saying to be careful."

"He's got a point though." Jace said, "Alec, Max or not we should go to LA and check everything. Robert is still not aware of Kasper and everything that's happening. We should let him know."

"You're right." Alec said, "Dad should know what's going on and I hope Max is fine. Rosette...."

With a slow nod, Rosette created a portal and everyone stepped into it.

************************

The sound of slow, gentle waves hitting the shore could be heard as they all stepped out of the portal. The lights of the institute were dim and shadowhunters were lazily entering and leaving the building, signifying that everything was alright.

"It does look okay, let's go inside," Jace said and they all entered the institute.

Few shadowhunters were sitting and working on the monitors, the lights were dim and the scent of ocean was filled in the environment. Robert was talking with one of the shadowhunter, or more precisely the woman he was now in a relationship with when they all walked in.

"Dad...."

Robert's head snapped towards their direction when he heard Alec's voice then exchanged a look with Annemarie and walked towards them. "Alec? Izzy? What are you all doing here at this hour? Is everything okay?"

"No, we need to talk, but first, where's Max?"

A worried frown crossed over Robert's face. "Max is in his room. What's wrong, son?"

"Dad, are you sure Max is in his room?"

"Yes, son. but why-"

"Alec! Izzy! Jace! I thought I heard your voice. I wasn't wrong!" Max exclaimed, ran towards Alec, and hugged him tightly.

Alec sighed with relief seeing him safe and sound and hugged him back tightly. He was glad that his brother was unharmed but now was more worried about what Kasper was up to.