9. Arising threats.

The metals clanked as Jace stopped another blow, gripping his sword tightly, but his sweat-drenched hands were starting to loosen his grip. Noticing this Kai backed up a little, lowered his stance then suddenly hit a blow from below, catching Jace off guard. Jace internally groaned and tightened the grip, which was impossible because of the sweat, then hit a blow on Kai's face, which he quickly blocked.

"Dude, are you sure you're just a shadowhunter in training, your weapon skills are too extraordinary for a normal shadowhunter!" Jace grunted, he was frustrated, he was the best shadowhunter, an expert in swords, yet a trainee, who just came a day before was able to beat him, Jace Herondale, and this was the man's ego and pride.

"Mr. Herondale, I have always admired weapons, especially swords. I know I'm just a trainee, but I've immense knowledge and training with swords. If I could, I'd be married to one." Kai chuckled at his own joke but Jace frowned and made a sign of time out. They were training for over two hours.

"Dude, that sounds crazy! I love swords too, but that's extreme." He walked towards the side bench, grabbed his towel to pat dry his face then took his water bottle and started drinking from it.

"Is someone really being a sore loser?" Clary walked in, having a sly grin on her face.

"Excuse me?" Jace cocked his eyebrow at her.

"Come on, Jace, Kai defeated you, just accept it."

"Okay, Clary, this is just training, why are you being weird?"

"I'm not being weird, Jace. Oh, and by the way, nice skills Kai." She looked at the new recruit, scanning his sweat-drenched body, making Jace more frustrated than he already was.

"Thank you, Miss Fairchild. I'm honored" He smiled sweetly.

"I told you to call me Clary, Kai." She smiled back, making Jace more than jealous, he wasn't liking their interaction at all.

"Kai, I hope the Institute is treating you well." Izzy walked in with Simon trailing behind her.

"Mrs. Lovelace, yes I'm liking it so far here. The institute is blessed to have a head like you."

Izzy smiled brightly at the compliment. "I'm just doing my job, Kai. And I already told you to call me Izzy. You're part of our team now."

"He's still a trainee, Izzy!" Jace growled lowly.

"Can we please talk about what we are here for, Isabelle? Greetings can be done later too!" Simon said, not so sweetly.

"Really, Si, why are you being so rude?"

"Okay, what's going on?" Jace asked, crossing his arms above his chest.

Izzy sighed and sent an apologetic look towards Kai, who smiled and nodded in return. "We have a problem, there was a demon attack in Manhattan hours ago, not any normal attack, but it seemed like a greater demon's work. The shadowhunters that were patrolling the area just vanished, the one who was able to escape just reported to me. The weird part is, we didn't get any alerts, when I checked the footage, it looked normal until I looked carefully after zooming in from different angles. There's no update but it seems like the greater demon is still on the loose, I've already sent different teams of shadowhunters to check the damage, we need to search for the greater demon. Kai, you'll be operating with us on this mission. Your skills can come in handy. We need to move now. Hope you guys aren't tired."

"I'm honored to go on a mission with you all. I'll be there within five minutes, Mrs., sorry, Izzy." Kai spoke and left the room.

"Will you be able to fight, Jace?" Clary asked, raising her brow at him.