28. Only one would stand at the end of it all.

!W! Mention of blood, violence, and use of strong language.

******************************

Reddish black clouds gathered above their heads, covering the portal to hell but demons kept passing by, setting the buildings on fire. Downworlders overpowered the army of shadowhunters, creating a pool of dead bodies beneath their feet. Kasper's smirk grew into wicked laughter as his army slaughtered every being in its way, be it an adult or child. 

As the night slowly dawned, changing the reddish clouds into pure black, faint light splitting through them, the few alliances left on Alec's side either left or were killed by the people that were supposed to be their own. What was left of their army was their own group, Blackthorns, and very few shadowhunters, while Kasper sat on a throne in the center of it all, enjoying their misery. Because of pregnancy, Aline and Helen left the battlefield and went to Stormshire Mansion to accompany Luke, Maryse, and their daughter.

Every time Alec tried to corner the man, to get under his skin, have a one-on-one with him, the bastard shielded himself with a group of downworlders, knowing Alec wouldn't dare hurt any of them. And it fucking worked. Every single time, but Alec wasn't going to let it cloud his mind. If Kasper was smart, he was smarter.

"Is that all you got, Kasper? Hiding behind a dark force you call your army?" Alec spat, dodging the claws of a scorpio demon and aiming his arrow right on its heart, shattering it into flames. "Man up and fight you fucking coward!" The maniacal laughter roared around them, sending shivers down their spine.

"He's trying to get under your skin, big brother," Izzy said while wrapping her whip around a vampire and throwing her over a group of warlocks approaching Magnus and Rosette. "Please don't let it affect you."

"I know, Izzy," Alec grunted when a demon claw hit his shoulder but Jace stabbed it on time. "That's why I'm doing this. Trust me here." Sweat dripped on his face and he could taste the saltiness and metallic in his mouth but giving up wasn't in his plans, no matter how long this battle lasts. "Fight up, you bastard!" Collecting a ball of energy around his palm, Alec shot it at Kasper but the man disappeared along with his throne, only to reappear in mid-air, smirking maliciously. "Fight up, coward!"

"Tut, tut, Silver Angel, why so worked up?" A peel of laughter left his mouth and Alec gritted his teeth. "Are you being a sore loser now? Did you think you'd win? Over my great army?"

"Sitting and watching is a sign of cowardice, Kasper. And that definitely doesn't suit you! If you wanna win then fight me, Kasper, show me the man you claim to be are!"

"Oh Silver Angel, so eager to die." Fire ignited his wings as another roar of laughter left his mouth and he stood up, stopping the army with one flick of a wrist. "You lost anyway so why not fulfill your wish." Before Alec could watch his movements, the man was behind his husband, sneakily tackling him on the ground and holding a sword right over his stomach.

"Magnus!" Alec's breath was caught in his lungs when Kasper pressed the tip causing Magnus to wince. That bastard was trying his best to pique his anger, to make him weak but he was far from that.

"Now, now, Silver Angel, will you say the words if I kill these disgusting beings here?"

Alec locked eyes with his husband and the rage was stronger than fear in those cat eyes. Magnus knew what he was doing, knew that to beat Kasper, you needed to feed his confidence. So following their plan, Magnus made a pleading noise, stopping everyone from attacking for his child's sake.

"How wonderful, isn't it?" Kasper dug the sword slightly over the grown belly. "Listening to these pleas, this chaos."

"You're disgusting, Kasper." Alec spat.