•Thirty-Five•

Three blades shot out at you, but before you could even think of dodging them, Dio flashed behind you and caught each blade between his fingers. You released a breath you didn’t know you’d been holding and relaxed, his sudden presence oddly comforting to you. The blades clattered to the ground at your feet as Dio swept you into his side. He looked down at you with a small frown, brushing his fingers across your cheek, double-checking to see if the blades had accidentally nicked you. After seeing you were perfectly fine, and none of your blood had been shed, Dio turned his attention back to Jonathan. 

“So, you’ve all come to die like dogs?” He grinned.

“Is that what you think will happen?” Jonathan quipped back, extending his hand back. “Speedwagon!”

You watched as said blonde tossed a sword’s sheath to Jonathan. Your own hand reached for your sword but paused when Dio grabbed your wrist. You glared up at him, but he just simply ignored it. 

“Dio, I now know how to overwhelm your freezing attack, and how to use my Hamon against you. All thanks to Dire,” Jonathan growled, as Dio gave you a single nod, and both of you jumped apart from each other. “I’ll transfer my Hamon to Blueford’s sword of luck and pluck!”

Your eyes widened in surprise as Jonathan’s sword was enveloped in the golden sparks that Dire had tried to use on Dio. Was that Hamon? You could briefly remember overhearing a conversation between Jonathan and Zeppeli about something that could mimic the sun’s rays and utterly destroy vampires. Could they have been talking about Hamon? Is that what Jonathan planned to use against Dio to defeat him?

“How dare you use that vile…” Dio growled, standing on the top of the railing on the balcony you and he had spent many nights on. “...That vile Hamon on me! You’ve pushed your luck far enough! Enjoy becoming zombie feed!”

“So this truly is Dio! The evilest, most despicable being the world has ever seen!” Speedwagon exclaimed. His attention then turned towards you as three of Dio’s creatures dropped behind you on Dio’s orders. “And there stands his partner. What have you become, Y/n?” He asked. 

“Be careful,” The man with long black hair said, glancing at you in the corner of his eye. 

“Y/n, what happened to the little kid I used to break out of trouble? What happened to the kid I went to jail with? The kid I used to run around with?” Speedwagon asked, nervously stepping towards you, then taking a step back as one of the zombie-like creatures snarled at him. 

“That kid is gone, Robert,” You said, pulling your sword out. Your fingers flexed around the handle of the weapon as you dropped into a stance. “I grew up.”

“Enough,” The man with long hair said, dropping in front of you. “You’ve shown your true nature. You are associated with the demon, and you have no intentions of abandoning that. I will show you no mercy!” He dashed towards you with deft speed, making you grunt and stumble back as you rose your blade and shoved him away. You spun around as he appeared behind you, gasping as he slammed his fist against your stomach. Your body hit the wall behind you from the force, making blood rise in your throat. You caught yourself before you could fall, grabbing onto a side table to keep yourself up as you glared at the man through the hair strands that had fallen in front of your eyes. You spat off to the side, wiping the rest of the blood from the corner of your lip. 

“You’re really starting to piss me off, dickhead,” You growled. 

“Am I?” He grinned, only fueling your anger. You scoffed and dove away from the wall as he rushed towards it. The sword slipped from your hands, sliding across the floor a few meters away. You rolled to the side as the man attempted to pin you down, escaping out of his reach. You quickly scrambled to your feet and reached for the sword. A startled yell of pain escaped your lips as the man slammed his foot down on your hand. You felt the bones snap and the searing pain shot up your arm. You bit your lip hard enough to draw blood and scrambled for your side with your opposite hand. You grabbed the handle of your dagger and yanked it out before jamming it into the man’s foot. He yelled and removed his foot as you did with your blade and you scrambled away from him.

At the sharp sound of your cry of pain, Dio flashed in front of you, startling everyone in the room with his speed. Your eyes were wide as you clutched your hand to your chest, already noticing the dark bruising forming on your skin. Dio growled, anger seeping through him as he glanced back at your pained expression. You didn’t even see him strike, but the man was flying across the room, hitting the opposite wall with a loud crack. 

“Straizo!” Jonathan called in shock. 

Dio turned to you and held out his hand. You pressed yourself against the wall further and shook your head. He sighed and stepped closer towards you, grabbing your wrist himself. You hissed in pain, your nails digging into his skin as you grabbed his hand with your uninjured hand. He could feel you trembling. The next thing you knew, you were crashing against the railing on the balcony. You gripped the side of it tightly with a sharp gasp. Jonathan had thrown a handful of roses at Dio, embedding one of them into his right eye. Dio quickly removed it with a hiss, but it was too late. The Hamon had already wounded him, blinding him in his right side. You went to stand, but a sharp pain in your side made you falter. It must have been when you slammed against the stone railing. Dio must have done it on purpose to keep you from intervening further. 

“Son of a bitch,” You muttered under your breath, shakily pushing yourself up. You felt a pair of arms grab your shoulders and tug you back, making you gasp in surprise.

“It’s alright, it’s me,” Speedwagon’s voice was calm and soothing as he drug you away from the balcony. “You need to get away from there, or you’ll get killed. Once Dio and Jojo go at it, there’s no stopping or intervening until one of them is dead,”

“N-No..” You grunted, weakly trying to struggle against him. The pain in your side was taking your breath away, making it harder and harder to move and breathe. “I have to h-help..”

“You’ve done your part, Y/n,” Speedwagon said, leaning you against the wall as he knelt beside you. He smiled sweetly at you and placed a hand on your shoulder. Both of you looked to the pair of brothers who glared each other down.

“Now it’s up to them.”