•Twenty-Four•

“Never again will I let you drag me anywhere else,” Dio growled, snapping yet another rubber band from his hair before tossing it in the alley. He ran a hand through his hair to try and fix it as you chuckled. 

“Oh, hush will you?” You said, glancing at him over your shoulder with a grin.  

“You’re not the one-”

“Shut up!” You suddenly hissed. 

“What?”

“Hide!” You said in a quiet voice. 

“There’s nowhere--Oh for the love--” Dio grabbed you and pushed you up against the wall, placing his arm in front of your head, and leaned over you, shielding your face away from view. He glanced in the corner of his eye and watched as Elijah and a black-haired girl walked past. 

“You need to drop it. If they said to leave them be, then do it. I’d hate to see Vex’s bad side,” She said.

“They’re running with a mongrel!” He hissed. 

“At least they’re better off there then they were here,”

Elijah’s response was cut out as they passed earshot, and soon out of sight. Dio removed himself from you, watching as your eyebrows furrowed, and you scoffed. 

“Idiot,” You spat, rolling your eyes. 

“Indeed so,” Dio mumbled. “That reminds me, I have something for you,” Dio said suddenly, making you raise your eyebrows at him.

“Huh?” Dio reached into his pocket and pulled something out. For a moment, you couldn’t see what it was, but as he opened his palm and allowed the chain to drop, you saw the brass circle swinging back and forth in the air gently. “A pocket watch?”

“Your last one got stolen, did it not?” He asked, extending it to you. 

“I don’t want it,” You said. “It’s yours.”

“Take it, Y/n,”

“I don’t want it,” Dio sighed and stepped forward, pressing it against your chest. 

“It’s a gift. Consider it part of your payment,” He said. 

“You don’t owe me anything,” You said, catching it as he dropped it. 

“Then you owe me,” He said, grinning at you. “Maybe you’ll finally be on time now,”

You chuckled and flipped it open. A picture of a two-tailed mermaid was in the center, and under it were the words ‘Tempus Fugit’ written in red ink. The hands ticked with every passing second and you felt your fingers lightly dip in the back. Flipping it around, you saw something etched into the back. 

“‘April 6, 1888. To my partner in crime: maybe this will help you with your deals of time. Yours truly, Dio Brando’. Well, isn’t that sweet,” You said with a lopsided smile. “Thanks, Brando,”

Dio grinned. “Are you ready?”

“As I’ll ever be,” You sighed. “Lead the way,”

… 

You watched as Dio stumbled down the alleyway with a bottle in his hand from your spot against the wall. Your hood covered your face, hiding it away from anyone’s view. As Dio stumbled around, you had to give him credit; he could play the part of a drunken man pretty easily. But you suppose he’s watched his father do enough of it, and maybe some of his own. 

“Watch it, boy!” An older man barked, making you return your gaze back to the blonde as he knocked into a pair of men. “Or have you no respect for your elders?” Dio didn’t reply but raised the bottle back up to his lips.