•Thirty-Seven [Final]•

4k words. Enjoy :)

Your eyes bore into the set across from yours. Jonathan sat across from you, his arms folded over his chest as he patiently waited for Erina to finish tending your wounds. Speedwagon stood behind him, his hand on the back of Jonathan’s chair. Your memory was foggy. The last thing you clearly remembered was letting go of Dio’s hand. After that, it was just blurred images and wispy figures. You had awoken to laying in the same bed as you had before, with Erina and Jonathan beside you. 

“There, that should do,” Erina said, standing and collecting her supplies. She brushed her hand on Jonathan’s shoulder as she left, closing the door behind her quietly. As soon it was closed, Jonathan turned his attention back to you. 

“Do you prefer Vex or Y/n?” He asked, leaning forward in his seat. 

“I don’t care,” You replied quietly, avoiding eye contact with him. You instead focused on the watch in your palms. 

“Come on, kiddo,” Speedwagon said, moving around Jonathan’s chair. The bed dipped beside you as he sat on the edge. “Don’t look so pitiful. Where’s your spunk?”

“Knock it off,” You mumbled. “I’m not in a playing mood. And I know you aren’t here for a cheer-up call, so just spit it out won’t you?”

Speedwagon closed his eyes and sighed. “Sorry, Y/n. I tried to get them to hold off, but they insisted.”

“On what?” You asked.

“Y/n, you were the closest person my brother had ever gotten to. I was shocked when he protected you against all of us and tried to keep you away from all the action. It wasn’t hard to see you were his partner in crime. And because of that, the police want to arrest you and sentence you to death,” Jonathan said, making you tense up slightly, but you said nor did anything else. “They’ve agreed to drop the death sentence if you agree to something.”

“You expect me to back out on him now?” Your voice was quiet.

“He’s dead,” Speedwagon said, putting his hand on your shoulder. 

“I know that, dammit,” You growled softly, brushing his hand off your shoulder. “But it doesn’t mean his other minions and creations aren’t out there skulking around for me.”

“You’re afraid of him?” Jonathan asked. 

“All of us were,” You said, looking up into his sapphire blue eyes. “There wasn’t a single person who didn’t fear Dio and his abilities. You saw what he did to your family, your home, your friends. He slaughtered people without a second thought. He made hideous and terrifying creatures to roam the Earth and do his bidding. He destroyed more than just your life, Jonathan. He destroyed everyone’s.”

“What about you?” Jonathan asked. “You have family and friends don’t you?”

“Do you know how long it’s been since then?” You laughed bitterly, shaking your head. “Dio knew my family because I made the stupid mistake of bringing him there. He knew what to use against me to keep me within his grasp. He was a manipulator. But you should know that one better than any of us, shouldn’t you? He weaseled his way into your family and tricked your father into thinking he was an innocent, festering boy. He tricked you into thinking he was your friend when he was truly your enemy. He did it to everyone. He all promised us something we couldn’t resist. Companionship, gratitude, wealth, envy, power; anything you wanted, he promised it in your hands. But, he had just enough credibility for you to trust him. Perhaps it really was only his charm and deception.”