•Sixteen•

Long chapter and maybe a warning? Idk. The word 'whore' is implied if that counts.

“H-huh?” You asked, stunned as Dio began to lead you to the center of the floor, where people had begun to dance to the harmony of the piano and violin players. Dio smiled at you, and you felt an unfamiliar feeling rise in your stomach.  

“Can you dance?” He repeated. 

“Kaliah hired an instructor, b-but I didn’t listen to a thing he was saying,” You mumbled. 

“Then I’ll refresh your memory,” He stated, placing one of his hands on your waist. He grabbed your hand and placed it on his shoulder, then laced his fingers in with the opposite hand. You felt your cheek glow red and you were about to yank them away when he spoke. “This is how you hold each other, Y/n. Don’t be so quick to pull away,”

“You’re pushing your luck, Brando,” You said. Dio chuckled and smiled at you once more, disregarding your last comment.

“Follow my footsteps,” He said, taking one step back and you took one step forward. You repeated this as Dio walked in a circle. “See? This isn’t that hard.”

“I remember this,” You muttered quietly, eyes softening as you looked at the ground. “James used to do this with me when I was young. We would stand outside of the tavern where they’d play music and we’d do this before going home.”

Dio looked down at you, secretly smiling in triumph. You were beginning to let your walls down as you began to trust him more and more. If he’d tried to do this a few months ago, you would have hung his decapitated head on the wall in your living room, and he knew it. To hear you revealing something about your childhood made him feel proud that he was actually getting somewhere with your trust. 

“Is that so?” Dio said softly, making you raise your head to look up at him. He was smiling down at you gently, and you wondered what he was thinking behind those piercing orange eyes. It was funny, some days his eyes looked like they could slice a hole in your heart, and other days they looked like they belonged on the face of a child. It was entrancing to say in the least.

“Where did you learn to dance?” You asked, smirking slightly. “Jonathan teach you?”

“God no,” Dio said, almost in disgust. You laughed, making him look down at you in surprise.

“What?” You questioned. “Why are you staring at me like that?”

“It’s the first time I heard you laugh,”

“No, it isn’t. We were both laughing like madmen at the tavern two weeks ago,” You said, tilting your head. Dio shook his. 

“No, I mean truly laughed. Not piss-drunk laughing. Actual fun laughter. You should do it more often,” He said, making your cheeks tint pink as you looked away. 

“Now you sound like Jonathan,” You mumbled. 

“Tch. I’m nothing like that oaf,” He sneered. You looked back at him. 

“No, you aren’t,” You said, making his shoulders relax a little. “But you do share a trait,”

“And that is?” Dio questioned. You looked at him for a moment.

“I’ll let you decide that,”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” He asked.

“You’ll figure it out,” You said, smirking at him. Dio really considering tripping you but decided against it. 

“Are you ready to be a distraction?” He suddenly asked.

“Huh? What are you--Dio!” You exclaimed, as he dropped your hand and grabbed your waist, spinning you around in the air. The people around you moved back, some laughing at the action. Your eyes were blown wide, and you were holding his shoulders with a death grip. He set you back on the ground, but before you could even react, he was grabbing you once more. The music gradually got more upbeat as a circle was formed around both of you, people beginning to flock towards the center of the room to see what all the commotion was about.