•Nineteen•

“How old are you?”

“Eighteen. What’s your favorite book?”

‘The Trumpet Major’...Have you ever played chess?”

“Multiple times... Why do you hate Jonathan?”

“He’s annoying, pesky, and troublesome... Why do you?”

“For the same reasons more or less… How long have you been playing family here?”

“Since I was twelve after my father died... Who’s James?”

“A man who's taken care of me since I was six... Why do you hate Elijah?”

“He’s a dick and a moron... What’s your favorite food?”

“I don’t have one.”

“Really?”

“I don’t eat much,”

“Obviously. You’re very skinny.”

“Is that a compliment or an insult?”

“Even I don’t know.”

You had no idea how this game began. It started as a simple game of cards, each of you testing one another’s gambling skills and competitiveness, but now each time you picked up a card, you asked the other person a question. You’d been playing for about an hour now, and both of you had learned quite a lot about each other. Like how your favorite color was f/c and Dio’s was orange. 

“Orange? That’s such an ugly color,” You scrunch your nose up at the thought. 

“Not the orange on the leaves in autumn,” He clarified. “Orange like the sky during a sunset,”

“So you’re a romantic?” You laughed. 

“No--ugh. You’re hopeless. Why do I even bother?”

“I don’t know. I asked you that earlier, didn’t I?”

“It’s your turn,” Dio pointed out. You looked at your hand and sighed before picking up a card. 

“Why did you choose me to help you?” Usually, your answers were immediate, so when it took Dio a moment, you looked up at him and raised an eyebrow.

“You seemed reliable,” He said after a moment. “I felt like you and I were similar in some ways, and we could come to an agreement. You wanted more money, and I wanted help. Of course, I could have done all this alone, but…”

“You wanted a partner in crime,” You scoffed. “Too much of a puss to get his own hands dirty, so he hired a sewer rat to do it for him.”

“I’m not afraid to get my hands dirty, Y/n,” He said, swiping a card from your deck, making you glare at him. He then laid out his deck on the table; a royal flush and grinned at you. “I just have a few tricks up my sleeve.”

“You’re a madman,” You huffed, throwing your deck on top of his and sighed, folding your hands behind your head. “But...you’re a clever madman, I’ll give you that.”

Dio leaned forward. “I want to ask you something,”

“A normal question, or my opinion on something you’re planning?” You questioned, raising an eyebrow. 

“I want to use the mask on someone,” He said. 

“Okay…” You said. “Who?”

“I don’t know. Some poor sod stumbling out of the bar?” Dio grinned.