•Twenty-Seven•

The grandfather clock chimed loudly as the hands stuck midnight, the sound echoing around the room and only intensifying the tension. Dio’s eyes glinted with anger and remorse as he looked down at you, his gaze flicking from each spot where you’d been wounded. He could tell you were in pain by the way your eyebrows furrowed slightly and you clenched your jaw. Sweat was forming at the edge of your brow and your breathing was unsteady. It was like Dio had become hypervigilant of everything about you. He could hear your heart thumping against your chest and the rush of your blood through your veins. His grip on you tightened and he pulled you closer to his side, narrowing his eyes at Jonathan. 

The primal instinct to protect you and only you washed over his mind. He was hungry for blood, he yearned for it, but the smell of your blood made him feel nauseous. The mere thought of him draining your precious essence was revolting. He couldn’t do that to you; you need it to stay alive. The fact that your ichor had been shed from your body was enough to drive Dio to murder. You’d been harmed while he was transforming, even after he’d sworn he wouldn’t let you get hurt. 

Your hand balled up the fabric of his shirt as you leaned closer to him, frowning at the way Jonathan's expression changed. The way he trembled slowly ceased and a wave of courage washed over him. 

“Don’t do it, Jojo!” Speedwagon exclaimed as Jonathan turned. “You haven’t got a chance in hell! I have never seen anything like this, lad. He broke those coppers to pieces like they were bleedin’ twigs.”

“I know,” Jonathan said, removing the spear from the knight statue. His hands trembled as he pointed it out. “Honestly, I’m terrified. All the same, I can’t let Dio kill anyone else. This demon must be annihilated!”

“Please, Jojo. I beg of ya, he’ll tear you apart!” Speedwagon begged. 

Dio watched as you backed away and dropped onto your knees, grabbing your cloak from the ground. The sound of the fabric tearing reverberated around the room as you tore a strip from it. You wrapped it around your shoulder, pulling it tight, and did the same to your wrist. You released the fabric from your mouth and picked your dagger from the floor. You glanced at the blonde in the corner of your eye before looking back towards Jonathan and Speedwagon, rolling your shoulder around as you did. 

The sound of joints cracking had your attention turning to the drained body on the ground as it began to sit up. Your eyes widened slightly as it crawled towards Speedwagon, who was either unable to move or paralyzed with fear. Dio chuckled beside you as the creature growled and closed its hand around Speedwagon’s face, knocking his hat off in the process. Speedwagon’s scream was muffled from the creature’s hand and you subconsciously took a step back, closer to Dio. However, before the creature could do anything further, Jonathan slammed the side of the spear against its face, tearing the upper half of its face off, and killed it. 

“He was my brother,” Jonathan said, looking towards Dio. “Look at him now. Father, please lend me the strength to do what I must.”

Dio grinned as he exhaled, the air coming out in a cold puff. He was powerful, and you didn’t know if he could even be defeated. But you knew that Jonathan would try with all his might to kill Dio. It was pathetic to even think about. All of Jonathan’s energy would be wasted as he tried to destroy Dio. 

“Watch out!” Speedwagon called as Dio moved around you swiftly, and rushed towards Jonathan. 

“This ends now!” Jonathan shouted, turning the spear towards Dio. “I will not allow you to kill anyone else, Dio!” You felt your eyes widen slightly as the spear went straight through Dio’s hand and the blonde didn’t even falter as he held it with a grin.