•Twenty-Two•

Your back was pressed against the wall near the cracked door, hidden from view of the people inside of the room as you listened to the conversation being held.

“I’ll be back from London in a few days, father,” Jonathan said. “Until then, accept medicine only from the hands of these doctors and no one else.”

“Master Jojo said he doesn’t want me to bring it up?” The butler asked, almost sadly.

“Yes,” George said. “We will do as Jojo has instructed us. His reasons are a mystery to me, but I trust the boy with my life.”

You scoffed silently.

“Thank you, Father,” Jonathan said. “Prepare the carriage. I need to go to Ogre Street, and find some help.”

Ogre Street, huh? That was Robert Speedwagon’s territory, and the proof to justify your hunch. Moving away from the doorway, you dashed back to Dio’s room, knocked once, and then slipped inside before Jonathan was even half-way out of the door. 

“So?” Dio asked, looking up as you entered the room. 

“He’s off to Ogre Street, one of the worst places in London. I think he’ll go to the college first, then there to see if he can get any of the scholars to figure it out. I know a chum down there that I used to do business with. If he’s still running it there, then Jonathan has a chance of not returning alive. Speedwagon’s not the friendly type,” You said, coming to stand beside him in the window, watching as the carriage was pulled through the snow. 

“Well, even if he does survive your friend's antics, whatever he may learn in London about the poison, he’ll take to his grave,” Dio said, motioning to his desk. He pulled the mask out from the bottom drawer, along with more papers. You assumed they were more notes about the stone mask. “Seven years ago, this mask reacted to my blood. The spikes hidden within will make short work of Jojo’s brain. His injuries will be so unique, there’ll be nothing at all to tie it back to me.”

“Curiosity killed the cat, they say,” You mumbled, flipping through the pages of notes and diagrams. “It seems it will lead Jonathan to destruction.”

“Hopefully,” Dio murmured. You closed the book and placed it next to the mask. Something about it sets off your nerves and makes you feel anxious. Perhaps you were scared of the power it held, or who wielded it. 

“Tonight,” You said, making Dio turn to look at you. 

“What?”

“We’ll test the mask tonight. We’ll go near the canal, and find a drunkard there. It won’t be hard to find one at the start of the weekend,” You said. Dio glanced at your leg, and noticed the way you put more pressure on the other one, and had your hand on your thigh. 

“Why not test it on Jojo when he returns?” Dio asked.

“If that mask does have the ability to turn someone into a vampire, then do you seriously want to use it on Jonathan and risk him becoming immortal?” You asked, in a tone as if he’d just asked you why the grass was green. “That just defeats the whole purpose of killing him, you know.”

“Alright, but first, I want to look at your wound, and see if it’s been healing,” He said. You frowned at him and subconsciously covered it with your hand. 

“It’s fine,” You muttered. Dio shot a glare at you. 

“You’re lying. Don’t think I can’t notice the way you wince when you think I’m not looking. I know it bothers you,” He said. 

You glared at him harder. Dio stepped towards you, his figure towering over you, and placed a hand on your cheek. “It’s funny, isn’t it? We met in the spring, April, and now it’s December. Eight months have passed, and we’ve grown a lot closer. I think you’re finally beginning to be at ease with me, aren’t you?” He asked. 

You want to deny it, shove him away, and leave, but you couldn’t. Dio captivated you. Perhaps he was only manipulating you. You wouldn’t expect any less from him. He was sly and intriguing. You hated that he had you wrapped around his finger. 

“I promise not to hurt you, Y/n. I’ve done nothing to betray your trust, so why do you hesitate?” Dio searched your face, and suddenly, he raised one of his thick eyebrows. “You aren’t scared of me, are you?”

“No,” You shot back quickly. “It’s...not that,”

His thumb swiped across your cheek. “Then what’s bothering you? Why do you refuse my help?”

Ego? It could have very well been. You never relied on anyone before, so why should you now? He didn’t want, nor need his help. Was it fairness? How come you were eating so well, being treated so well, and kept healthy while the others suffered back in London? You hardly thought all of this was fair. You didn’t deserve anything that was being handed to you. It was like a kingdom, you suddenly thought. Dio was the King, cocky, smug, and powerful. He has everyone under his rule. And you...he took you to be at his side. His Queen, if you will. You were trapped under his hands, chained by his charm and kindness. Everything that you ever stood for screamed at you to get away while you still had some of your will left. To run away and never look back at this wretched mansion or that mischievous man. But, you couldn’t. Just the mere thought of never seeing him again had an empty place aching in your heart. You’d grown so used to his company, it would feel wrong if you weren’t at his side. You knew that it was foolish of you, but who could blame you? Elijah betrayed you, leaving everyone behind him to die at the hands of bandits. Kaliah died, and you were too slow to save her. You had slaughtered those bandits, making sure you took your anger out on them, before running to Dio for help. You suppose it was only natural for him to want to help you now. He’d also grown accustomed to you. 

You sighed. “I...fine.” You muttered. 

“You still haven’t told me what’s bothering you so,” He said. 

“Does it matter? Why do you bother me so much about it?” You asked, flicking your eyes up to him. Dio gazed back down at you with softened eyes. He brought his other hand up and cupped your face in his palms. 

“Because I care about you,”

You felt your eyes widen and your breath caught in your throat. His thumbs swiped across your cheek affectionately, making them heat in a blush. 

“You may not be used to it, Y/n, but I truly care about you. It doesn’t matter if your feelings aren’t reciprocated, I’ll be fine caring for you on my own,” He said. You averted your eyes quickly. 

“Idiot...I do care about you, or I wouldn’t still be here,” You muttered. 

“Look at me for a moment,” Dio said softly, and you turned your attention to him. Dio moved to run a hand through your silky h/c hair and immediately fell in love with the softness. 

“W-what are you doing?” You asked, cheeks red as Dio continued to show his affection towards you. It all felt weird; it was so foreign to you. You weren’t used to it at all. 

“You’ll stay with me, won’t you?” He asked quietly, in a tone you never heard from him before. It was almost as if he dreaded your answer. 

“I’m your partner in crime, am I not?” You said, making Dio’s eyes widen. You leaned forward, resting your head against his chest, and slid your arms around him. 

“You’re a moron if you’d think I would leave,”

וווו×

Thanks so much for 1K!