•Ten•

A shiny red apple flew up in the air, falling back into Elijah’s palm before he tossed it back in the air. He repeated this multiple times out of boredom. You sat across from him, your feet kicked up on the table with your hands behind your head. The back of the tavern was dimly lit by a single lantern hanging from the ceiling and sealed away by a single curtain. Your feet swayed back and forth as you rocked your leg, watching the apple fly into the air before falling again. Amusement spread across your face as Elijah jumped from a loud bang from the front of the tavern, and lost focus on catching the apple, to which it smacked on the top of his head. He winced and clamped his hands on the top of his head as he whined. 

“Quit laughing, you wretch!” Elijah barked as you chuckled. 

“Don’t be such a meat-head and I won’t laugh at you,” You replied smugly. The brown-eyed man glared at you harshly as he rubbed the spot where the apple had hit him. Elijah’s name and your alias were called in a hushed voice, making both of you look towards the bar keeper's daughter, a young woman named Elizabeth. She hurriedly waved the both of you over with a weary expression. Standing up, the both of you walked towards her and leaned over the counter to speak with her. 

“We have a problem,” She said quietly. 

“Well, don’t just stand there. Tell us what’s wrong,” Elijah said, grinning at her. You watched as her cheeks flushed, and she fiddled with her hands shyly. 

“A m-man burst in and is causing a ruckus. Daddy told me to come back here and get both of you to run him out,” She said. 

“Alright,” You said. “Let’s go, womanizer,” Grabbing Elijah by his collar, you started to drag him away before he could even begin flirting with the girl. 

“Hey! That’s no fair. I ain’t causing no harm!” He whined. 

“You will be when you get latched to her because you’ve gotten the poor flapper pregnant,” You said. “She’s barely fifteen you know,”

“It’s only five years,” He said. You glared at him and let go of his collar, purposely sticking your foot out to trip him. 

“Oops.” You deadpanned before entering the main hall of the tavern. Immediately, you could hear the loud voices shouting. The bartender, a big burly man, had his finger jammed into the chest of another man, who was around the same height. The drunkards of the night were boasting around, cackling at the stupid amusement they found from the trouble. The two men were yelling at each other, so your voice wasn’t heard. Elijah was still face-down on the ground, and more than likely wouldn’t get up because of his bruised ego. You sighed. 

Pulling a chair around, the men at the table cackled even more as you stepped onto the table, brushing the empty metal tankards onto the floor and out of your way with some clattering. Still, the noise hadn’t gained their attention. You hooked two fingers into your mouth and whistled loudly, silencing the tavern. All eyes turned towards you. 

“What the hell is the problem here?” You demanded in a raised voice. You hated fights in the tavern. It was always something new every day. Something you always had to deal with. 

“Get this bastard out of my tavern before I break his neck!” The barkeeper yelled. You jumped down from the table with a deep sigh.

“Calm down, first of all,” You said, walking towards them. “Second, what’s this quarrel about anyhow?”

“You,” The man hissed. You turned to him in surprise, raising your eyebrows with a small grin. Amber eyes harshly glared at you. 

“I’ll be damned. Dio Brando,” You muttered. “I’ll take care of this,” Moving the barkeeper aside, you grabbed Dio by the collar of his coat, and led him to the back of the tavern. You threw him inside, making sure to knick his side off one of the tables. He gasped in surprise as you shoved him in one of the chairs and pressed your blade against his neck.