•Eighteen•

When you awoke, it was because of a soft voice. You opened your eyes, expecting to see Harry or Michael leaning over you, shaking you awake from your slumber to help them. You expected to see the dainty little apartment wall, and Samantha sleeping beside you, clinging to your shirt in her slumber. You expected for the fresh smell of cinnamon to waft towards you like a train but you didn’t receive any of this. Instead, you were met with a pair of golden eyes and a crown of blonde hair. You blinked a few times to make sure you still weren’t dreaming or imagining things. 

“Dio?” You muttered tiredly, sitting up in confusion. Where were you? And what was Dio doing there?

“Afternoon,” He greeted, holding a glass towards you. “Thirsty?”

Your memory suddenly flooded back to you, making your head ache slightly. You took the cup from him and drank half the glass before handing it back. He set it on the table beside you and stood up, walking to the window where he drew the curtains back, exposing the sunlight into the room. You winced at the sudden light in the darkened room and blinked to adjust your eyes. 

“What happened?” You asked, moving the plush blankets to the side and swinging your legs over the side of the bed. Immediately, you noticed that you were in different clothing than before. 

“Relax,” Dio said, noticing the tenseness rising in your body. “One of the maids changed your clothes this morning so you weren’t stuck in that nasty dress,”

“The maid? The others know I’m here?” You asked worriedly.

“The police are downstairs talking with father. They came to see if any of the survivors ran here, and I explained that you were resting upstairs,” He explained. You took note that you were in his room, and it looks like he was cleaning up the blood from the night before. “That mutt of yours is here too.”

Your head shot up in surprise. “Elijah?”

“Showed up earlier,” He said, offering a hand to you. You took it with less hesitation and he gently helped you to your feet. Pain shot up your leg, making you pause as you hissed in pain. “You’ll have to rest for a while before you’ll be able to walk properly again. That stab wound was deep.”

“And you’ll be my caretaker no doubt,” You spat as Dio opened the door and walked slowly down the hall for you as you limped beside him. 

“I don’t think you’ll have a problem with it, seeing as you ran to me last night,” He retorted, making you scoff. 

“I only came for the bandages. You made me stay,” You huffed. 

Dio hummed. “Is that so? Then care to explain why you didn’t jam your blade into my hand and escape on your own?”

You didn’t reply and he knew he had won this one. When you arrived downstairs, after fighting with Dio that you were able to go down them on your own, hopped on one leg, and flipped him off from the bottom, you were finally led into the lounge. By the time you got there, you were exhausted, and your head was throbbing. 

“Oh, I’m so glad to see you’re awake, dear,” George said, standing up as soon as you entered the lounge. “We were all so worried about you.”

“Y/n,” Elijah said, jumping to his feet. 

Your response was immediate. “Piss off.”

Dio raised an eyebrow and grinned at Elijah cockily before leading you towards the loveseat and helped you in the seat before planting himself beside you. “I apologize for being so late, father.”

“Oh don’t worry about it. I’m sure Miss Y/n was startled when she woke up,” George said. “Are you doing all right? Do you need anything at all?”

You shook your head. “I’m fine, thank you. I’m also grateful that you’re letting me stay here.”

“It’s no trouble at all dear,” He smiled. “I know you and Dio are friends, so I’m happy to help in any way that I can.”

You noticed Elijah staring at you guiltily and glared at him. “Excuse us,” You muttered, standing up. Elijah did as well. He tried taking your hand to help you, but you reeled away from him and limped towards the door. 

Once the door shut, Elijah began to spill apologies from his mouth. Your eye twitched in annoyance and you pushed Elijah against the wall. He shut his mouth almost immediately, watching as you pressed a blade to his throat. He swallowed hard and felt it bob against his Adam's apple. 

“I am going to make one thing perfectly clear,” You spat. Elijah hated the look in your eyes and wished your hood was on so he couldn’t see the way you were so angry at him. 

“I never want to see your face again.”

Elijah felt his heart drop into his stomach, eyes widening as his breath hitched in his throat. You were fed up with him. You were tired of these idiotic stunts he was pulling. He abandoned you, leaving you behind to fend off four more men by yourself in the pouring rain in the middle of the night. He broke your oath, and he lied to you. He attacked you, and your friends. He started fights with the one person you were beginning to trust. He was being ridiculous. And you were done with him. 

“If I ever see you, close to Jame’s apartment, the tavern, or here,” You warned. “I will not hesitate to kill you. You’re a scoundrel, Elijah. And you are a monster.” You removed your blade and grabbed his collar, shoving him towards the door. 

“Y-y/n…”

“It’s Vex to you,” You snapped. “Now get away from me.”

A hand was placed on your shoulder, and you didn’t have to turn around to know who it was. Vanilla filled your nose as you tucked your blade away. 

“Come on,” Dio murmured, glaring harshly at the stunned redhead still standing in the hall. “You need to rest.”