•Nine•

‘Stay,’ You pulled your mask down and mouthed to Elijah. He shook his head, but you pressed a finger against your lips and shook your head. You tugged your mask back up and slipped through the door. Dio was sitting at his father’s desk, hands folded in front of him as he watched you emerge from the small closet. He grinned cockily after knowing he’s been right all along. Your eyes flicked down to the papers under his hands, then back up to his face. Golden eyes stared back at you knowingly, and you could see he was plotting something behind them. You glanced back at the papers, and your eyes landed on the title of the deed. The exact deeds you were after.

“I never would have thought you’d show your face again here. I heard about the show you put on for Jojo three years ago,” Dio said. 

“Yeah? How’s your face? The last time I saw you, you were face-down in the ground with a mouthful of dirt,” You replied, making Dio glare at you with a frown. You grinned under your face covering. 

“If you want these, then I suggest you hold off on the insults,” The blonde man said, raising the neatly folded papers up. 

“Here to bargain then?” You asked, leaning against the wall as you crossed your arms over your chest. 

“I am,” He said, placing the papers back on the desk. 

“Let’s hear it then,” You said, raising your head a little. The shadow that had been cast over your face was lighter, and he was able to see the dim e/c eye staring back at his orange ones. 

“In exchange for your help,” Dio said, leaning forward. “I’ll split the Joestar fortune with you.”

“My help?” You repeated. “What do you want my help for? Don’t tell me you’re like that pesky brother of yours,”

Dio shook his head. “No, I know how to fight unlike him,” He stated, pushing himself out of his chair gently. “I want your help in your...profession.”

“You want me to steal something for you?” You asked. 

“Yes,” He said. “And I want it by the end of this year.”

“The year?” You questioned. “What the hell am I stealing?”

“A stone mask,” He replied, placing the chair back where it originally belonged. “I’ve heard all about this mask, and I want it. I personally can’t get it myself, since it’s in this house, within these walls.”

“Then you just take it,” You scoffed. 

“It’s not that easy. You see, Father has it hidden. About a year back, something happened and he took it and hid it away. No one but him knows where it’s located,” Dio said. 

“What are you getting to, Joestar?” You narrowed your eyes.

“What I’m saying is: I’ll find the mask and you steal it. And I’m not a Joestar. My name is Dio Brando,”

“Ok, Brando,” You corrected. “I’ll accept your little bargain, but-” You snatched the papers from his hand swiftly and tucked them away in your cloak. “I want half of the fortune, plus more for the effort to keep this quiet. You wouldn’t want the family you built to fall apart once they find their precious son has betrayed them, now would you?”

Dio glared at you as you grinned. “Fine.”

“Fabulous, and we have a witness to our agreement,” Elijah walked out with a death glare pointed towards the blonde. 

“What?” Dio growled. 

“You honestly thought I’d come back here alone? Such a foolish man. Looks like I’ll have to teach you a thing or two later on about observing. But, you must excuse us. We got what we came for, so our job here is done. I’ll get in touch with you when I’m not busy,” You said, giving a two-finger salute to Dio before slipping from the room. 

“Are you out of your mind?” Elijah asked as soon as you were away from the door. “You can’t trust him!”

“How do you know that?” You asked. “We’re both conmen and liars. Who’s to say I wasn’t lying either? With this, we’ll end up with more money than half of what this stupid estate is worth anyhow,”

Elijah looked at you in surprise. Slowly, a grin spread on his lips. “You cheater,”

“All in the name,” You said. 

“Look, there’s the old lady. Let’s get this to her and then back slang it,” Elijah said. You nodded and followed after him.

“There you are!” She said between grit teeth as she made sure no one was watching before looking back. “What in God’s name took so long?”

“We r-”

“Dimwit couldn’t find the bathroom on his own. I sincerely apologize Madam,” You stated, passing the papers into her hand-bag. 

“It’s getting late. We should return home,” Elijah said. 

After the goodbyes were said, and Kaliah was back in the carriage, she caught your attention. 

“Nice work, Vex, and you too Elijah. I’ve ordered for your horse to be brought. You two go back on that,” She ordered. You nodded and then closed the doors. The carriage driver handed you the reins to your horse, and you swung yourself over it and looked around for Elijah. Your sight landed on him standing in the doorway, and when you looked around him, you saw Dio standing with his hands in his pockets. It seemed like they were discussing something. The conversation didn’t last much longer and Elijah walked away and pulled himself on the horse behind you. You didn’t say anything as you snapped the reins and urged the horse into motion as you trailed behind the carriage. 

“Y/n-”

“I don’t want to know what you told him,” You cut the redhead off before he could even finish his sentence. You felt him deflate behind you. “And I don’t feel like getting bitched at either, so just keep your mouth shut.”

Your thoughts traveled back to Dio, and the deal he set on the table. It was stupid, that was for sure. But...It didn’t sound so bad. It sounded easy, and you would get half of their fortune, compared to the half of one-third piece you would get from Kaliah?

Dio was sounding more and more likable by the moment.