•Twenty•

“How do you expect to do this?” You asked as Dio led you through an alleyway. You walked behind a few trash cans and avoided stepping in a puddle.

“Well, for one you’re staying out of sight,” Dio said, making you frown. 

“But I thought you wanted my help,” You raised an eyebrow at him.

“Yes, well I also forgot to take into consideration that Jack The Ripper was still on the loose,” He muttered, looking around. 

“He only preys on women,” You said. 

“Yes, well you could be mistaken as one,” He glanced at you. 

“Tch, I’ll remember that Brando,” You huffed. “Say, I hadn’t seen your father in a few days,”

“Huh? What’s that all of a sudden?”

“I saw a man pass by,” You mumbled. “But I haven’t.”

“Father is ill,” Dio grinned at you. “ A little cold he had has progressed into something much more serious,”

You took one glance at him and knew. “You’re poisoning him?”

“The faster he’s gone, Y/n,” Dio hummed, his coat fluttering around his slim figure as he swept towards you. He grabbed your chin in his hands and looked down at you with blazing yellow eyes. “The sooner we take the Joestar fortune into our hands.”

“Do you forget his own son, Jonathan, is still in the picture?” You muttered, removing his hand from your face. 

Dio frowned at the mention of his brother’s name. “I’ll take care of Jojo soon enough.”

“Do you plan on killing him as well?” You asked, leaning against the wall as you crossed your arms over your chest. 

“Yes,”

You knew that was going to be his answer, yet you still couldn’t help the pang in your heart. You quickly hid it away before he could notice. You sighed heavily. Why did it feel like everything was moving so fast? It made your head throb.

“Something wrong?” Dio raised an eyebrow.

“No. Sorry. I’m just getting a headache is all,” You mumbled, rubbing your temples. Dio stepped forward and placed his hand on your forehead. 

“You’re warm,” He said. “Maybe you should go back if you’re feeling sick.”

“It’s only a headache,” You shrugged. “It’ll go away.”

Dio looked up as the moon shone above your heads and sighed. “I don’t think we’ll find anyone tonight anyhow,”

“Chickening out before the fun even begins?” You taunted, grinning at him. He glared at you. 

“I’m planning,” He scoffed. 

“Sure,” You laughed. 

“Tch. You can be so irritating when you want to,” Dio said, turning to walk down the alley. 

“What can I say?” You shrugged, pushing off the wall, and trailed after him when he called your name. “It’s one of my best qualities.”

“You have those?” Dio snickered. 

“Oh, har-har, mate,” You rolled your eyes. “You must think of it too since you’ve kept me around for so long.” 

“That’s because you’re my best bet here,”

“Are you going to keep telling yourself that until the day you die?” You questioned, tilting your head up to look at him. Dio glared down at you, simply grunting as a response. 

“You know something, Brando,” You said as you arrived back at his horse on the edge of town. 

“What?” The blonde asked, untying the reins and leading his spotted horse to where you were seated on the ground under a tree. 

“Jonathan used to play you out as the villain. The mean, witty, and cruel boy who came bursting into his life without warning, and messed him up entirely. You both acted like cats and dogs when you were younger, but now it seems as if you’re the best of chums. I know both of you are playing two-faced, but I can’t help but think,” You said. 

“Of?” Dio asked, encouraging you to speak further as he settled himself beside you. 

“Us,” Your answer surprised him, making him turn his head to gaze at you in bewilderment. Your face was calm as you stared ahead. 

“Us?” Dio repeated.”What do you mean?”

“I thought about it a while ago, but I guess I never really...considered it, but...You and I; we’re almost the same. I think that’s why we get along so well. After I met you and stopped living off of deceiving tales and rumors, I noticed that you and I acted the same. We both are street rats to the core. You may act like a well-kept pooch, but you’re a rat like I am. Then I realized that if you’ve been considered the villain, then I may be as well. I probably sound stupid saying all this, and it probably means nothing to you,” You glanced over at him, and met his gaze. “But I don’t think you’re the villain.”

Dio was quiet for a moment as he searched your expression. “What makes you think I’m not?”

You tilted your head in thought, casting your eyes up. “I don’t exactly have a reason. I just don’t believe you are. I don’t believe you are the victim either. You aren’t helpless, and you aren’t pure evil like Jonathan made you out to be. Of course, I can see where he comes from with that, but dare I say he doesn’t know you as I do.”

Dio chuckled. “If I knew any better, I’d say you were beginning to fancy me, Y/n,”

“Who knows,” You said, making Dio’s eyebrows lift with surprise as you grinned at him. “Maybe I do, maybe I don’t.”

“So that’s a possibility?” He laughed as you stood up. 

“I guess you’ll have to figure it out, won’t you?” You teased, moving to stand, only to pause and wince at the sharp pain shooting up your leg. 

“You just keep relying on me, don’t you?” He smirked, reaching for your hands. 

“You just make things easier on my part is all,” You grunted, accepting his help as he pulled you onto your feet. You gasped as he yanked you closer, placing his opposite hand on the small of your back.

“Are you sure about that, Vex?” He purred your alias, making something flick in your mind. You suddenly hated the way it rolled off his tongue. Without even thinking, you spoke. 

“Y/n,” You corrected. “I don’t like Vex,”

Dio raised an eyebrow. “Why is that?”

“N-not...not around you at least..” You mumbled, hesitantly placing your hand on Dio’s shoulder. “I’m not Vex with you...Vex isn’t like this.”

“You mean Vex isn’t soft,” He cooed, making you glare up at him. “You can’t tell me I’m wrong. You’ve said so yourself.”

“You know what? Forget I said anything at all,” You mumbled, moving to pull away when Dio pulled you closer. 

“I apologize, Y/n,” He chuckled. “It’s just so amusing to watch you fluster so easily,”

“You’re getting less amusing by the second,” You rolled your eyes. Dio chuckled. 

"I'm glad you thought I was funny," Dio said, helping you onto his horse. You glared down at him. 

"Funny? No," You said. "Amusing to watch? Yeah."

"I'll take that into note, Y/n," The blonde said, swinging himself in front of you. "Be sure to hang on," 

Hmph. Like you'd ever let go of him.