Chapter 4 Dandria

"You okay, baby?" Cam asked, tapping my face for the third time, after I gained consciousness.

"I thought I saw Danielle."

"You did!" She popped up, with wide eyes, standing over me.

I could feel myself becoming dizzy, before Cam helped me up. When I was face to face with her, I could only stare. "I thought you were... dead."

"No, I'm not dead! I ran away from there... it took me about three weeks to get here."

"What? But she-"

"I'm not dead, Dria. She's a money hungry bitch! Maybe it's because I went missing. I'm back now."

"But- how?"

"I caught rides from different people, whenever I could."

Looking downward at her homely clothes, a tear fell free, from a eye. She looked like she hadn't bathed in months, her skin was dirty, hairy filthy, and she had a foul scent to body. "Are you okay, Danielle?"

"I am, now!" She grinned at my belly, before wrapping her arms around me tightly.

     When I turned to Cam, he didn't seem as happy as I was. Ignoring his nonchalant attitude, I embraced my baby sister. I felt like a piece of me was back, and I couldn't let her go again.

         "Dria, you're too rough! I think I can do this on my own!" Danielle complained, as I scrubbed her filthy body.

"It doesn't look like you have been!"

She glanced up to me, with a sorrowful look. "Are you going to let me stay?"

I momentarily stopped, staring her in the eyes with confusion. "Danielle, you know I am."

"What about Cam? I don't think he wants me here."

"He didn't say that."

"He didn't say he wanted me to, either. Hell, he hasn't even looked me in the eyes.

"Danielle, don't take that personal. You know he's still adjusting to you actually being alive. This is crazy for us."

"Mama don't know I'm here, huh?"

"I haven't talked to her, yet."

"Good! Don't! She ain't gone care, anyways. Why waste your time?"

I kept quiet, and began to scrub her back, where I noticed old, but recent scars. When I stopped, she turned to me. "I'm sorry about lying on Cam, like that. He ain't never touch me in no kind of way! And I'm sorry for causing so much trouble. If you let me stay, I won't start any shi- stuff."

"Danielle, you can stay as long as you want."

She smiled before turning back around.

        Later that night, I entered the room, where Cam stood on the phone. He spoke briefly about coming in to work, so I knew our vacation was canceled. I took a seat on the edge of the bed, waiting for him to finish the call, before speaking. "What's your problem?"

"What?" He played clueless, giving me the face he made everytime he lied.

"I know you're weirded out by all of this, but I plan to get to the bottom of it, with my aunt. I knew her ass was up to something, that day in the hospital."

"Is she okay?"

"As far as I know. I didn't see anything unusual."

       Danielle knocked on the door, before opening it. "Dria, can you sleep with me tonight? Just for tonight... like old times."

I eyed Cam, to see his reaction, and he didn't budge.

"Just a minute, okay?"

She nodded her head, before closing the door.

"Do you see what I mean, Cam? The face you make, whenever she's around. She's only been here a few hours, and you're already pushing her away."

"I haven't said anything that would push her away?"

"You haven't said anything. That's the point."

"You know why, Dandria. I have to work tomorrow, and I'm already tired."

"Fine, Cameron. Get some rest."

     I left the room, finding Danielle in the other, examining the closet. "You guys already have a lot of stuff for that baby, but why double? Just incase she messes one up?"

"I'm having twins, Danielle."

"Twins? No wonder your stomach is so big! I thought you were eight months. Wow... twins! Can one be named after me?"

"Of course."

"Great!" She jumped in bed, making room for me, and spreading the sheet. I climbed in behind her, wrapping my arm around her and snuggling close.

"Remember, we would always sleep together when I was a kid. You said you would take care of me, better than Mama, when you got out of school. You always keep your promises."

I smiled, pulling her even closer, happy that she was back.

        Loud and constant coughing woke me up. I rose from the pillow, noticing Danielle leaning over the bed. "Are you okay?"

She shook her head, while coughing.

"What's wrong?" Moving closer, I noticed how sweaty her back was. She turned to me, with blood covering her lips. "Danielle!"

"I think it's a bad fever."

"We have to get you to the hospital, Danielle!"

I didn't even bother waking Cam. Instead, I took the car, and rushed her to the emergency room.

       Three days later...

   Danielle sat on the examination table, while I sat in a chair close by. The doctor was finally returning after a few minutes, and I was eager. The thought of cancer crossed my mind, but I prayed it was only a bad infection instead. He smiled warmly at Danielle and I before speaking. "Well, as you know, we ran a few tests on Danielle, three days ago, because of her symptoms."

"And?" Danielle asked eagerly. Her face read nervousness, and it only made me nervous.

"There is never an easy way to deliver the news." He calmly spoke, placing her hand into his.

"What is it?"

"Danielle, you tested positive for HIV"

She snatched her hand away from his, wearing a twisted face.

          Thank you for reading! Comment and VOTE!