Chapter 16 Maliah

I rambled through my purse, searching for my keys, while stepping down the staircase carefully. Noticing a man approaching me, I tried walking in the opposite direction, before realizing I was too late. "I'm not interested." I called briefly, hoping he would refrain from speaking to me.

"You look like you need help." He smiled, adjusting his baseball cap. I wondered why he was dressed so casual, while entering a courthouse.

"No, I'm fine. I'm actually on my way home, my husband is waiting."

"Oh, your husband?"

"Yes." I smiled, wishing he would walk away, while I gripped the hidden pepper spray inside of my bag.

"You don't like rings?"

"Huh?"

"You're not wearing a ring, so I figured you didn't like wearing it, or either you're lying to me."

"Or maybe I choose not to wear it to work."

"Where do you work?" He was now following me, prolonging the conversation as I stepped onto the sidewalk.

"That's none of your business."

"Okay, my fault. Can I ask what your profession is?"

"I'm an attorney. Are we done with this interview?"

"I guess I'm holding you up, huh?"

"Yes, you are."

"I just saw you walking, and I wanted to let you know how beautiful you are, Mrs.Attorney." He complimented, staring straight at me.

"Thank you," I blushed, releasing the small bottle into my purse, and feeling a bit guilty for being so harsh. "My name is Maliah."

"Maliah, Well you're beautiful. If you didn't have a husband, I would have liked to get to know you better."

I looked him over again, clutching my purse and exhaling. "I'm not married... Well I am, but we're not together. I'm in the middle of a divorce."

"I wish I was sorry to hear that, Maliah, but it's hard to be."

"What do you mean?"

"You gave me a little hope now." He smiled, shrugging his shoulders. "Would your future ex husband mind us exchanging numbers?"

"Why are you here?" I asked nudging my shoulder toward the court house building.

"My home boy Paul over there had some issues with his ex girlfriend. I'm here for support. I try to stay out of trouble when I can."

I noticed a guy standing a few feet away from us two, making his story seem more believable. "You haven't even given me your name, sir."

"You haven't given me your number."

"And I won't. What makes you think you deserve my number after a five second conversation? I don't give my phone number to random men on the streets. Nice speaking with you though."

"Let me get that for you." He reached for my handle as the both of neared my car. After a few more seconds of searching, I finally found my keys, allowing him to hold the door open for me. When I fasted my seatbelt, he shut the door firmly, and watched me start the vehicle before I rolled the window down.

"My name is Jahleel." He spoke, leaning into the cracked window, while resting his arm against the top of my car.

"Nice meeting you Jahleel." I smiled one last time, while pulling away from the curb and leaving him standing in the middle of the street.