Chapter 3 Meilani

I kissed my teeth, and folded my arms across my chest. "So, that's what you think of me?"

"I'm asking, haven't you been pretending? Pretending to not be a freak?"

"What kind of bullshit question is that?"

"You gone answer a question with a question now?"

"I didn't pretend to be shit! I've changed, and you should respect it! I'm out of here!"

"You can question me, but I can't ask you nothing?"

I turned to him, while sliding each arm into the sleeve of my coat. "It's the way you say things! You should be sensitive about certain situations. That part of me is gone, Shaheem!"

"I didn't know." He kind of laughed at me struggling with my coat, before trying to help.

"I can do it!" I snatched away, getting frustrated all at the same time.

Knocks hit the door, taking our attention away from the heated conversation, then a kick, sending the door flying. "What's up, Slick?"
Slick? Who the hell is slick? I wondered, eyeing both of the large men.

Shaheem cracked a smile, opening his arms. "Y'all just gone kick a nigga door in, like you the FEDS or some shit? I know you paying for that shit!"

"Fuck you, nigga!" He pulled a gun from under his shirt, cocking it, and aiming directly at Shaheem. "Where it's at?"

"You think I keep that shit at my crib, nigga? I ain't no plug. Rookie ass niggas, always looking for a come-up." The base in Shaheem's voice distracted everyone, while he reached for his gun. One of the guys noticed what he was doing, and fired the first shot. Shaheem pushed me inside of the bedroom, before bullets began to fly.

      I covered my ears, balling up in a corner of the room, watching him move back and forth from the door, attempting to hit one of them.

       Why didn't you just go home, Meilani?

    My eyes were closed when it finally stopped. I slowly rose from the floor, noticing all of the bullet holes near the door. "Shaheem!" I whispered, eyeing him resting near the door. "Are you okay?"

"Stay down!" He demanded, peeping around the corner, to see if the had left. When he stood, I made my way closer, noticing blood.

"You're bleeding! They shot you!"

"Nah, it's just a graze. Get your stuff."

"I-I didn't bring anything." I stuttered, searching for my invisible belongings. He was still observing his home, and breathing heavily, while blood specs dripped from his forearm. Shaheem was in a frenzy, while I followed, wanting to know why this happened.

      "You should go to the hospital. That looks like more than a graze." I suggested, examining his arm as he drove.

"I'm good."

His manner had changed, and he was on edge, giving me short and simple answers. Marcus didn't answer his call, which made the him worried, until I informed him that Marcus went to see Chantel.

"Why were they calling you Slick? Is it your nickname?"

"Yeah."

"And you don't know how they came?"

"You're a detective, now?"

"Excuse you? I'm just trying to help you!"

"I don't need your help. Just be quiet."

"You know what? I hope you bleed to death!"

He shook his head, before focusing back on the road.

        "I hope they didn't follow us here." I mumbled, entering the hotel suite.

"Shit, you're more than welcome to go home."

"Screw you!" The suite was beautiful, and even had a separate bedroom. He took a seat on the love seat, while I made my way to the bed, shutting the door behind me. 

       Thunder struck against in the distance, waking me up. I rose from the bed, glancing around the empty room, completely spooked. My heart was beating, as I rose from the bed, making my way out of the bedroom.

It was pitch black, until lightening glared through the window, allowing me to see him resting on the couch. I flicked the lamp on, and called his name. "Um... Shaheem."

He was so deep into sleeping, he didn't even hear me. I eased over to him, kicking his leg. "Shaheem!"

He jumped up, aiming his gun toward me, due to his reflexes. I stared down the barrel of the gun, with my hands up. "It's just me... Meilani." I would have been safer in the bed, at this point.

"What?" He mumbled, rising a bit, to see me.

"Uh.. I'm scared... I think I heard something."

"Heard what?"

"I don't know... something. I wanted to sleep in here with you. If you didn't mind."

He smirked, at my nervousness. "You wanna come lay up under, Daddy? Come on." He made room on the couch, allowing me to lay down beside him. My knee pressed into the cushion, before my body could. He seemed surprised when I decided to lay down facing him. "What you doing?"

"Trying to get comfortable." I spoke,  wrapping my leg around him. He looked into my eyes, when I ran my finger across his bruised arm. "Are you scared?"

"Scared of you?"

"No, just scared."

"Can't be scared of shit like that, when you doing what I'm doing."

"Everybody is scared of something." I whispered, laying my head on his chest. His heart beat was calming, from when I woke him. He didn't have to admit it, but I knew.

        Thank you for reading! Please comment and vote! VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTEEEEEE!