Chapter 27 Chantel

I was sure the both of them were going to lose their breath from how tightly they were hugging, but I enjoyed the view as Sky pulled on my hat.

"Look mama!" Casey pulled out the drawings he had been working on for the last few weeks, "These are for you!"

Erica marveled over each one, before hugging him again, and pulling Casey into her arms.

I decided to give them some alone time, leaving the room and walking toward the exit doors. The air was cool and crisp, but Sky didn't seem to be enjoying it much. My phone vibrated a few times before I saw that it was Marcus, and answered. "What's up? Where you at?"

"I took Casey to see Erica." No point in lying, I knew that this was needed for the both of them. All Casey talked about was how much he missed her, and I couldn't continue to let him cry every night. She was still his mother, regardless of how Marcus felt, and the differences Erica and I have had in the past.

He was silent for a few seconds, leaving me uncertain of his reaction. "Why you fucking with me? Chan, I don't want my son around her."

"Your son? Marcus, he needs to see his mother. You can't control everything!"

"Chantel, don't question me about this shit. Either you bring him back, or I'll come get him and Sky." He ended the call, leaving me completely irritated.

I thought over his response a while, before walking back into the building.

"Wow, Casey!" I analyzed the pictures, as Erica marveled at her talented son's work.

Three hours had passed, and visitation time was well over. The nurses allowed us to stay longer than the visiting hours permitted, and honestly we all enjoyed every minute of it. Erica told me her daily routine, and how much she progressed.  She told me how she planned to get back on her feet become a better parent for Casey, and I knew she meant it. Even though we had never seen eye to eye, today was different, I knew that it would continue to be this way.

"Why can't I spend the night?" Casey pouted, while hugging his mom's leg.

"Your dad is waiting for you." I informed, holding sleeping Sky in my arms and watching them both.

"Maybe next week, baby! You be a good kid for me okay? And I'll take you to one of these baseball games coming up!"  Casey loved baseball, and cheered up  to every word Erica spoke.

"Can I play the game tonight?" Casey asked me, as we rode the elevator up to the penthouse.

"Sure, why not?"

"I mean all night! Until like... tomorrow!"

I laughed and shrugged my arms. "I don't see why not."

We stepped off, and headed towards the door that was already open. "Marcus.." I called, before entering and noticing him slouched across the couch with a bottle in his hand. I decided to take my time putting Sky to bed, and making sure Casey showered before he went to his room.

About three hours later, I found myself cleaning the kitchen to detail, before I could feel someone behind me. "Damn, no meal for your man?" Marcus slurred, pressing his tall frame against my much smaller one. "It's like that?"