Chapter 14 Kaidyn

Surprisingly, Daniel did only what he said he would do. He gave Chris his money, and he left. I figured Daniel knew the odds against him, if he hit Chris, or maybe he wasn't acting in the most irrational manner, anymore. Either way, I was happy it wasn't settled in a physical fashion.

Daniel didn't bring up Jelly's lie, which led me to believe, he was a bit upset by the way I shared the news with him. I watched from the kitchen, as he spoke on the phone incoherently. Whatever he was discussing, it was apparent that it was not meant for me to hear, so I kept my distance.

"Aren't you hungry?" I asked Daniel, rinsing my plate under the faucet water, before walking toward him.

He was taking back to back calls, and slowly pacing the living room, as I stopped in my tracks to watch. "Yeah, just a minute." He halfway spoke to me, concentrating on the conversation.

I decided to head to the room, before hearing someone knocking at the door vigorously. "I'll get it, I'll get it." Before I could even open the door, Shaheem took it upon himself to barge inside.

"What's up?" Daniel asked, confused, the same as me, while I waited for an explanation.

"They took Marcus in for questioning."

"You already knew how it would go, why you telling me?"

"He's been there all day, nigga. They gotta know something. I think I saw a nigga from the club up there."

"I'll call Chantel." I tried pacing off, before Daniel pulled my arm.

"You don't have to, I'll handle it."

"She still needs to know, Daniel. I'm sure she would tell me if you were involved in something."

Daniel seemed like he was hiding something from me. "She shouldn't be stressed out over something like this. I'll let Marcus tell her, when he's out."

I glanced at Shaheem, and back to Daniel, placing my hand on my hip. "Daniel, what's going on? Why was Marcus taken in for questioning?"

Before he could get his explanation out, I cut in. "Where's Chantel? I haven't seen her in weeks... Why are you acting so secretive? Did Marcus do anything to her?" I felt part to blame, seeing that I hadn't been keeping in touch with my friends like I needed to. I should have known something wasn't right, when I stopped receiving phone calls from Chantel.

"He didn't do anything to her, calm down."

"Then, where is she?"

"We ain't getting in their business, Kaidyn. She's good."

"You need to tell me something, anything. I need to know that she's okay. Do you really think I'm going to accept these half answers you're giving me?"

"You don't trust my word?"

"I do, it's just that-"

"Okay then, I told you she was okay, so trust me. We'll talk about it later, when I get back." He kissed my cheek, following Shaheem out of the door, with his keys in his hand.

"Oh, we can talk later, alright."

Daniel didn't even realize that he had actually left his phone, in the process of checking on Marcus. I quickly skimmed through his text messages, hoping to find any clues to where Chantel might me. I noticed an address sent from Marcus, before scribbling it down, and placing the phone aside. Just as I grabbed my purse, Daniel's screen lit up, with a text from Jelly. I wanted to ignore it, but instead I glanced over reading, call me asap, we need to talk.
What else did they have to discuss? I decided to let him find the message on his own, before heading out of the apartment.