Chapter 24 Chantel

Marcus looked livid, and I kept a straight face. My response was more than petty, but so was his way of handling the situation, which is why I didn't tell him at first.

Two days passed and I barely saw Marcus, which wasn't unusual, but he never called to check on me, like he always did. I didn't know if he was still upset, or if he was just busy.

It was 9:45 p.m. and Sky, Casey, and I were up finger painting, which was Sky's favorite thing to do. Casey was still getting the hang of things, and seemed to be adjusting, without Erica. Even though she was using, she was still his mother, and deserved to see her child.

"Look Mama!" Sky turned to me, with red paint smeared on her face, while pointing to what she thought was her masterpiece.

"That's look great! Let's see yours Casey!"

"It's not ready yet!" He held back a shy smile, before finally revealing his picture. The painting was very peculiar, because it showed five stick figures, but one with a circle around the belly.

"Who are these people?"

"That's me, Dad, Sky, You, and Mama and the baby in her stomach!"

"Baby? She's having a baby?"

"Yes! Mama told me I'm having another little sister or brother! I hope I have a brother because Sky doesn't like to play with my toys!"

I laughed, and rubbed the top of his head, before hearing a knock at the door. "Coming!" I  called as it continued. I couldn't help but to wonder if Erica was actually pregnant, and who the father was, if she was.

I squinted through the peephole, before removing the chain, and opening the door. "Where's your man?" Kade asked, holding two  suitcases.

"He's not here. Are you dropping something off?"

"Yeah, I thought I could catch him, but I guess I was too late." He half laughed, entering the apartment, and passing me.

I followed him to the kitchen, walking toward the sink. "You can leave them on the counter." I finally spoke, washing paint from my hands, and never facing him. It grew silent for a few seconds before his deep voice interrupted,

"Damn, Chantel... I still can't believe I didn't get to you first."

I ignored him, before grabbing a paper towel and drying my hands, I still hadn't faced him.

"I mean, with a body like that. I know it's still hard for Marcus to keep up with you."

"Excuse you?"

"What? It ain't no secret, the streets talk... You had your fun before, right? Too bad the other nigga lost his life on the cost of some pussy. Shit it must have been worth it." He licked his lips before smirking, as I watched out of the corner of my eye. "I just want to know what it'll take for me to get that opportunity."

"A nigga can put everything else in my ear, but won't let a nigga know he tryna slide in mine." Marcus interrupted, walking into the kitchen, with a sly grin of amusement. I finally turned around, with my eyes wide, and watched him watching us. This nigga's timing was always too perfect, and I didn't understand how.