Can't Be Apart

A/N: The story is set in April/May 2020 at the beginning of the pandemic.

Third Persons P.O.V.

All members of Little Mix have been following the state's mandated orders of staying home, being six feet apart, wearing masks, and only going out when they need too. It has been very challenging for all the girls to be apart, but it has been especially hard for Mackenzie. This is because the seven year old loves being close with her family, especially Anna.

It's the end of April and the virus is still spreading and infecting and killing many people throughout the world, meaning the girls are being extra careful and cautious. Anna and Mackenzie have been FaceTiming and texting everyday since lockdown began. At first, Jesy and Perrie found it adorable but now it was interrupting much of their lives. Although they didn't have much to do, the constant FaceTiming and texting was a distraction for both Anna and Mackenzie.

"Mackenzie Grace Edwards! Get your bum down here!" Perrie yelled from the lounge. Perrie had just received an email from Mackenzie's year 3 teacher which stated that the child had been logging back onto the classroom calls late for the past two days. Mackenzie's school has the students have morning classes, then they log out for lunch, back on for more classes, another break and then finishing classes.

Mackenzie does not listen to Perrie and instead continues to FaceTime Anna. "Shouldn't you go to Perrie, Kenz?" Anna asks unsure, she didn't want the girl to get in trouble for talking to her. Anna had gotten into trouble the other day about not completing her assignments and instead talking to Mackenzie.

"No, it's fine-" Mackenzie says but she is then interrupted by a cross Perrie walking into her room. "It is most certainly not fine young lady. Hang up that call right now" Perrie says sternly.

Anna is visibly uncomfortable on the call. Perrie doesn't know if it's Anna or not but she could take a wild guess that it is. "But mummy, just a few more minutes" Mackenzie pleads.

"No. You've been on that call since school finished today, haven't you?" Perrie asked with her hands on her hips. "Yes.." Mackenzie trails.

"Right then," Perrie grabs Mackenzie's phone, waves goodbye to Anna and hangs up. "Why have I just gotten an email from your teacher telling me your logging into your classes late?" Perrie asks sternly.

Mackenzie just shrugs, quite taken aback by Perrie's actions and stern voice. The reality is that Kenzie has been FaceTiming or texting Anna during her breaks from class and loses track of time.

"I think you and I both can take a wild guess" Perrie says, "so tell me then."

"I was texting Anna and lost track of time, but that's all. It wasn't on purpose, mummy" Mackenzie answers looking down at the floor.

Perrie sits on Mackenzie's bed and softly grabs the child's chin to make her look at her. "I'm sure it wasn't on purpose, but you cannot keep doing that. Your education is more important and you need to stop getting distracted. I'm going to keep your phone for this week and I better not get another email from your teacher otherwise you will be in even bigger trouble" Perrie says sternly.

"But mummy! I need my phone! Please don't take it" Mackenzie begs sadly. "You do not need your phone. If you want to call Anna, you'll have to ask me. You two have been texting and calling way too much for mine and Jesy's liking" Perrie tells her.

Mackenzie is visibly annoyed and huffs at Perrie's response. "Do you want a spanking too?" Perrie asks sternly. Mackenzie immediately shakes her head. "Good then drop this attitude" Perrie tells her before she goes back downstairs to the lounge.

Mackenzie lays on her bed bored for a few minutes before deciding to find Alex. He was in his room playing video games. "Alex?" Mackenzie asks as she walked in.

"Yes darling?" Alex asks, clearly distracted from his intense game. "May I borrow your phone?" Mackenzie asks sweetly. "Why ofcourse princess" Alex says as he vows his head at Mackenzie before getting quickly back into his game.

Mackenzie laughs and takes his phone from his bed. She quickly searches for Anna's number and begins texting her from Alex's phone.

A few hours had passed and Perrie had almost finished cooking dinner. She had to admit she was quite surprised that Mackenzie had not come down and asked for her phone at all.

"Hey, Leigh texted me earlier about a meeting you guys had. She said you weren't answering earlier and it was something important, I don't remember what it was" Alex says nonchalantly as he comes into the kitchen and starts setting the table.

Perrie chuckles, "Gee Alex that's very helpful, thank you. My phones been charging, it's upstairs. Could you check your phone and tell me what she said?" Perrie asks.

"No can do miss. Mackenzie had my phone for hours" Alex says as he finishes setting the table. "And why has she had your phone all day?" Perrie asks, she knew where this was going.

"Mm, not sure. I think she's talking to Anna" Alex shrugs. Perrie let's out a deep sigh and gives Alex a look. "What?" Alex says unsure of what he's done now.

"I took Kenzie's phone away because she was talking to Anna too much. She kept going back to her classes late because she was too busy talking to Anna" Perrie explains.

"Ohh, well I didn't know" Alex says, "Do you want me to talk to her?" Perrie puts the food out onto the table. "No that's okay, just call her down for dinner." Perrie says.

Alex shouts for Mackenzie and she comes down. She tries to secretly hand Alex back his phone but it doesn't work because Perrie sees and she already knows.

"So what have you been doing since classes ended? You've been up in your room for a long time" Perrie says. "Oh, um just homework" Mackenzie says.

"Mhmm, sure" Alex says sarcastically. Mackenzie looks up at him confused. "Well Alex told me you asked for his phone a few hours ago and you've just returned it" Perrie says sternly.

"I was just playing a game?" Mackenzie says unsurely. "Cut it out, Mackenzie. I know you were talking to Anna this whole time. Did I not take your phone away so you wouldn't spend all your time talking to her?" Perrie asks sternly.

"Yes, but I-" Mackenzie says but is interrupted. "No, no buts. You know exactly why I took your phone away and you went behind my back and used Alex's phone. That was very sneaky, Mackenzie" Perrie lectures as Mackenzie was looking down at her lap the whole time.

The two adults expected Mackenzie to have some sassy or feisty comment like she always does but the two were shocked when they heard sniffles coming from Mackenzie. They both saw a tear drop onto her leg.

"Oh Baba, what's the matter?" Perrie asks going over to Mackenzie and lifting her up from her seat and then sitting back down with Kenzie on her lap.

"I m-miss Anna a-and we c-can't see e-each other. A-and I can't see any o-of my friends anymore" Mackenzie says sadly as tears slowly fall down her face.

"I know it's hard, baby, but it has to be this way until doctors can come up with a vaccine and we can all see each other again or when the cases go down. You know that, baby" Perrie reassures.

"I'm sorry I was naughty" Mackenzie says. "It's alright, baby. You're forgiven, but I don't want you to be talking to Anna too much. You have other things to do and so does she. Maybe during the weekends you can spend more time chatting, but not when you both got school work to do, okay?" Perrie says.

Mackenzie nods her head understandingly and the three get back to eating their dinner.