Out On The Town

(One Piece X Reader) Pt.3 of the Gangster! AU.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I knew this would happen.. but not so soon.."

Frowning at your reflection, you brushed your teeth a little harder with some guilt, feeling regretful and embarrassed that you yourself didn't consider this at all.

"Whitebeard's right, now that you've become independent from me, other groups are going to want to recruit you.. some will be more aggressive than others" the phone's audio crackled as he spoke, only making your mood more sour as it meant that he was probably on another job as you spoke.

You spat into the sink with a bitter expression, "I'm sorry.."

"Honey- don't apologize, you got nothing to be sorry for.. hell, this happened to me too when I first got into the business, and they were much more brazen back then I can assure you"

Rolling your shoulders in exhaustion, you stretched lazily, vaguely aware of your arms trembling from the strain as you did so, "how'd you get them to fuck off?"

Your father snorted, most likely in amusement from a past memory, "three ways- either you join a group, you get it across to them that you want to be left alone, or you impose your own"

Rinsing your toothbrush with a blank expression, you mulled over the three options and sagged in exasperation, "I've been trying to get to them with option two, but nobody seems to be getting the message"

Your father made a crude sound, "blah, you know men.. they always think a little lady says no when she means yes"

"Don't you mean, they think a lady means yes when she says no?" There was a rough ringing sound from the phone, most likely from the bad connection, and you frowned realizing a moment later that he was laughing at you.

"Ah.. was that how it goes? Not like it matters, it means the same thing"

You rolled your eyes, albeit playfully at your father's antics, "yeah, yeah.. anyway, I'm gonna spend the day acquainting myself with the new area, maybe scope out the surrounding competition"

"That sounds like a good idea.. have you made any friends?" You struggled not to audibly scoff at the question.

You pursed your lips as you walked out of the bathroom, only to widen your eyes as you came face to face with a shirtless Kidd.

At first you were preoccupied with ogling those juicy pecs, but once it came across your dirty morning mind that the man was standing with nothing but a towel wrapped around his waist, you couldn't just look away from it.

"...(Y/n)...?"

You were way too far in la la land to hear your father anymore, deep in the fantasy of wrapping your arms around that torso and- "uh.. why're you grinning like that..?"

Meeting Kidd's eyes again, you were delighted to see it has taken a deep red hue, and his face looked like he was caught in between turning tail or grabbing the other towels laying nearby to hide from your scrutinizing gaze.

Gently brushing a finger over your jawline, you blinked at the realization that you were indeed grinning like a scheming pervert- probably not the best expression to be giving Kidd like this.

Forcing the smile off of your face, you waved off the redhead's concerns and played it off, "ah sorry, there must be something wrong with my eyes, I can't take them off you"

As you passed him, your grin returned at the acute sound of a choked gasp, and before you could even help yourself you already gave his ass a firm slap- earning a shrill squeal.