Another Day

(Zolu) Just a modern AU where Zoro's a cop and Luffy's a firefighter.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grip hard on the steering wheel, Zoro's ears stung from the continuous sirens, and at this point they might even get damaged- but he didn't care.

Cars in front were quick to stop along the sides of the road, allowing him full access to the streets- like they should in this situation.

His shift ended half an hour ago, and Smoker would probably grill his ass afterwards for it but- he just had to be on main street.

Of course it would happen, as soon as he got back to the station to turn in his keys- the news channel just had to come on in the lobby.

Of course the hot topic of the night would be the fire devouring half of main street, of course they would speak of the five firefighters trapped inside in great detail, of course they would list off their names and add a photo to boot.

Of course Luffy was one of the firefighters stuck in the fire.

Gritting his teeth angrily, a car suddenly turned ahead and stopped right in front of him, "fucking asshole!" Blaring the horn as harshly as he ever did in his life, it took a few seconds too long for it to move out of his way, and he nearly banged against it when he impatiently stepped on the gas.

The night was making things harder for him and the car was shit, one light would dim every once in awhile, the steering was off by a second- but Zoro usually liked those flaws, it made him feel that the car was customized for him.

But he was not feeling it now, that was for hell sure.

He was close enough to main street to see more flashing colours ahead, the lights of paramedics, firemen, fellow officers, and the goddamn fire.

Tires screeched in agony as he made a harsh turn into the street- he wasn't even a drift racer, but after infiltrating so many illegal car races he picked up a few tricks.

Recognizing Tashigi by an ambulance that was loading someone in, he didn't even remember to shut off the engine or close the door behind him as he stumbled out hurriedly.

"Tashigi!" Turning to him at the name, she gaped at him in surprise, clutching her wooden katana against her hip.

"Roronoa? Didn't your shift end half an hour ago?" Wheezing tiredly once he made it to her, the other gulped in a breath of air before looking at the person in the stretcher.

A female firefighter, not his Luffy.

"H-How many firefighters are out?" Giving him a confused look, she pursed her lips and nodded down to her clipboard, "I've reported two wounded in the ambulances- and one death"

Zoro's heart dropped, "one death..?"

No, not Luffy, "w-who was it?"

Tashigi frowned before shaking her head, "a long-time firefighter, aged in his middle 40s, from what we got from his co-workers, his name was mr. Dalmation"

Zoro nearly slumped against the ambulance in relief, Luffy was in the safe zone- for now.

"Where are the other two?" Once again Tashigi looked like she wanted to question him, but refrained to do so and pointed to the top of the Tesoro company tower.

"Two firefighters who went to save the last few workers stuck up there still haven't come down, apparently they were able to get the workers out- but the survivors said the two of them got stuck along the way"

The greenie swore and ran for the building, "hey!" Just as he was about to cross the police tape, the woman grabbed him from behind and tore him away, "hey! What the hell are you doing?!"

Fighting against his fellow officer with all his might, the other was still able to drag him all the way back to her car.

Continuing to push and kick despite the suspicious glares he got, the other didn't stop until the Tashigi suddenly let him go.

'Clank!' Being held back by his wrist, Zoro turned back with wide eyes at the cuffs chaining him to the vehicle.

"What are yo-" "what are you doing?! Roronoa you can't just run into a burning building! We have to leave this to the ones trained for this! And your shift ended already, what are you doing here anyway?!"

Growling wildly, he forcefully tested the cuff's strength but only succeeded in making his wrist bleed, "dammit, let me go!"

"I'm afraid I can't-" Pulling her wooden katana out fast enough, she blocked a frustrated kick with a gasp of surprise, "Roro-" "my boyfriend's in there!"

Finally realizing the situation, Tashigi blinked at the information, "I can't just sit here and let him burn to death!"

Giving him a look of sympathy, the officer bowed clumsily with shrugged shoulders, "oh! I didn't realize.. I'm sorry Zoro.."

"Just let me out!" Tashigi pursed her lips and shook her head, "no, you're not thinking clearly in that state"

Feeling one more step closer to losing his mind, the other glanced at the pistol in his holster- and thought that maybe if he was fast enough, he could shoot the cuffs off.

Hearing a loud crumbling, horrible sound, Zoro felt his heart plummet into his legs seeing the top of the Tesoro tower cave in.

"Luffy!" "Zoro!"

Losing his breath momentarily, his eyes found an ambulance a few ways off, and a grinning coal haired boy standing by it with a couple of paramedics.

"Luffy!"

"Zoro!"

Before Tashigi could even get ahold of the cuff keys, she heard a loud metal cry right before a dart of green rushed ahead.

Turning back in horror, the cop collapsed onto her knees at the sight of her car, "ah, how will I explain this to Smoker-san?"

"Zoro!" The greenie ran right up to the other hand captured him in a tight embrace, despite the meeker objections of the paramedics, neither of them backed away.

Leaning away just far enough to get a good look at his face, the officer deflated in relief, only finding light burns and bruises.

Thank fuck.

"Jesus Luffy do you know how scared you got me?" The other only sheepishly chuckled- without the sheepish nature, "ah, sorry Zoro, the fire spread faster than I thought it would"

Zoro only gave the other a narrowed look before sweat dropping, "I swear to God with you.." kissing the younger on the cheek, he felt his heart rise back up into his chest.

It was just another day.