Chapter 25: Newfound Loyalty

Harry pinches the sand and rubs it around between his fingers. A breeze blows and ruffles his hair. He looks off to the sea as the grains blow away out of his hand.

The smell of salt and the ocean hits his nose, and he leans back. His hands hit the sand and his eyes trace the grave. The etchings into the stone are rough and hurried. The burial was short and rushed. His heart twinges, it should have been more. He deserved more.

Here Lies Dobby A Free Elf

Harry's eyes flicker away. 

For some reason, he can't cry. He wants to. He should. But nothing will come out. It's like he is empty. Numb. 

Sometimes tears will fall from his eyes but he feels nothing. It's odd.

He pushes himself up and sand pours off of him.

They had been at Shell Cottage for about a week.

Harry started walking down the dunes towards the cottage. He found himself sitting in front of the grave whenever he needed to think. He likes the breeze, and, in a way, it feels like Dobby is still with him.

Harry pulls Draco's wand out of his pocket and examines it. He had spoken to Mr. Ollivander a few days ago about the wands that they had picked up. He had said that Draco's wand had a newfound loyalty.

Harry figures it is because Draco trusts him enough to let him use it. Harry tests it in his hand. He quite likes the way it feels. It's like he has a piece of Draco with him.

Merlin, he misses him.

His stomach roils. He didn't even get a chance to talk to him. He tried to but Draco shut him down. He wanted to tell Draco everything. He doesn't want Draco to think that Harry hates him. It's the opposite actually.

Harry walks to the door and kicks his shoes to loosen the sand before entering. He takes his shoes off in the doorway so that he doesn't accidentally track any in.

"Harry? Can we talk?" Hermione says when he walks into the kitchen. He nods with a slightly confused expression. "Let's go outside." She moves past him, and he follows her out. He pulls his shoes back on despite having just taken them off.

They walk towards the ocean. The cold mist sprays their faces as they move farther away from the cottage.

"What happened with Draco?"

Harry cringes. "Nothing really." He tucks his hands into his pockets and shivers. The sea makes the wind fierce as it bites his skin.

***

Hermione finds that surprising.

Harry had never really been the type to share his feelings. She was just now getting him to open up about his relationship with Draco. He tends to bottle things up until they explode.

"Did you get a chance to tell him the truth?" Hermione shivers. She should have put a jacket on. She is only wearing a sweater. "I know how that has been eating you up."

"No."

Harry stares off and Hermione frowns. He is so distanced. Dobby's death took a toll on him. He always felt so responsible for everything that goes on in his life even though hardly any of it is his fault.

Harry pulls something out of his pocket. Hermione glances at it. 

Draco's wand.

"It trusts me, Hermione." He frowns down at it. "What do you think that means?"

She guesses it has something to do with their love for one another. It is so obvious that they feel the same way about each other. It is painful to see how poorly they have gone about the whole situation. Although to be fair, they have had a lot of obstacles.

"I read once that people who share a bond or an intense connection can share their wands." Harry pinches his lips together. It's like he refuses to believe that they share the same feelings for one another. Like by admitting it, it will go away. She sighs frustratedly. "It's obvious that Draco loves you, Harry. He told you that he does. And you love him."

"Yes... but, what if he doesn't still? It's been almost a year. What if he has forgotten? Or moved on?" Harry looks up at Hermione with a worried expression. Hermione can tell that this is bothering him. He feels insecure, she assumes. "What if... what if...?"

She reaches out and grabs his hand. "I can assure you that he hasn't forgotten. You have to stop worrying about this Harry. There is nothing you can do about it right now."

Harry's lip trembles and his hand squeezes around the wand. "Why didn't I just say it? Why couldn't I just say the words? He thinks I still hate him!" Tears leak from Harry's eyes. "What is wrong with me? Why couldn't I just tell him?"

 He probably couldn't say the words out loud because he was scared that they would disappear. If he admits it, it makes him vulnerable. It's like he doesn't want to let him in fear of losing him. 

"We were in an awful situation, Harry." Hermione pauses and clenches her fists, remembering the torture. Her wrist itches where the word is carved. "You can't blame yourself for that. It wasn't the right time."

Harry looks up at her with watery eyes. His cheeks are red from the cold. "What if he is hurt? Or d-" Harry chokes. "Why couldn't he have come with us? He would be safe. I could tell him everything. I should have forced him to come with us."

"Harry..." Hermione starts. "He obviously stayed for a reason. He'll be fine. He wasn't caught doing anything wrong. They will still believe that he is on their side."

Harry nods. A faraway look dances in his eyes like he is lost in thought.

The wind whips Hermione's hair and she tucks it behind her ear.

"I miss him."

Hermione wraps her arms around her friend. He has never had a break. She hopes that once this is all over Draco and him can be happy. That they can figure everything out and be there for each other. Harry needs someone like that in his life. Hermione and Ron can only do so much.

"I know Harry. I know."

Hermione couldn't imagine being without Ron. Not knowing if he is okay. It happened for a little while and she couldn't imagine going through that again. She might spontaneously combust from worry. Although he is an idiot sometimes, she loves him.

Harry's arms wrap around her and he hugs her back.

She hopes that they can all be happy one day.

They break apart and look to the sky as a rumble sounds overhead. Everything is darker and it seems like a storm is rolling in. An ominous crack of thunder splits the sky as the first few drops hit her skin.

Happiness seems so far away. 

Author's Note:

Sorry for the short chapter. I don't really like it. I wanted it to be a filler, but I sort of ran out of things to write.

Also, what other ships do you guys like? I'm not sure about Romione. Might switch things up later in the story.