Chapter 7: Dazed and Confused

Draco is very confused. He doesn't like the way his heart flittered when their hands met. He looks back at Potter who is now smirking. Potter leans back in his chair. He is finding amusement in Draco's misery. Draco's cheeks heat even more.

What is going on?

He snatches his stuff and puts it in his bag. Potter leans forward.

"W-wait. Malfoy, where are you going?" Potter puts his hand out over what Draco is doing. Draco stares at Potter's hand. He has to get out of here.

"I'm leaving."

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have grabbed your pen without your permission. And I can get you a new bottle of ink if that is what you are so worried about." Oh, but Draco is not worried about that. Not at all. That is the furthest thing from his mind and at this point.

Draco leaves with a swish of his robes, he has to get out of here.

But then he feels a hand clamp down around his arm and suddenly he gets yanked backward. His stuff flies out of his hands.

"Malfoy wait-" But Potter's voice gets cut off as he trips on Draco's robe. Then Draco feels himself falling, the floor becoming much too close for comfort. He clamps his eyes shut and braces for the wind to be knocked out of him.

"Oof," somehow, he landed on his back. He opens his eyes slowly, only to be met with a pair of green ones. Draco's chest is rising and falling rapidly as he stares up at the boy above him. His eyes rove over Potter's face.

He finds himself noticing things he never did before. Draco is so close that he can see tiny flecks of gold in Potter's eyes. He has nice dark eyelashes and his messy hair looks quite good. Draco would never admit that though.

He can taste Potter's breath and much to Draco's surprise it reminds him of pastries. And then Draco's eyes go to Potter's lips, they are tinted a light pink and they are open slightly. And for some reason, he doesn't entirely mind what is going on.

He finds himself wondering what they would taste like. Sugar? Perhaps honey from a glazed pastry. Potter is always eating pastries and sweets. Draco looks up at Potter's eyes to see that they are on Draco's lips. They flicker to meet Draco's eyes and a blush stains the boy's cheeks.

Draco's breath catches and his heart is beating loudly in his ears. He wonders if the boy atop him could hear it. Could feel it as it pounds against his chest. Blood rushes to Draco's ears and face.

What is going through Potter's head? Is he disgusted? Probably.

Draco's arms are trapped. He tries to move one, but he ends up swiping Potter's arm out from under him.

This causes another series of events that makes Draco's cheeks even redder.

Harry's face is now buried in Draco's neck. His arm collapsed when Draco tried to move and now Draco's face is so hot, he fears he may explode. Harry groans into Draco's neck when he lands. It tickles the sensitive skin there. Draco shudders when Harry's warm breath exhales. Little goosebumps spring up all over him. It is excruciating.

Potter's full weight is pressing on him. Draco can barely breathe. But he has a feeling that it has nothing to do with the weight, but rather who is on top of him. One of Potter's legs is between Draco's and Draco can hardly stand it. He clenches his fists together.

Draco lays there, completely frozen. He doesn't dare move in case he makes the situation worse. Then Potter pushes himself back up with his arm. His hair brushing Draco's face as he comes up. Draco gets a distinctly vanilla scent. Perhaps some sort of shampoo. He recognizes the scent, but from where he is not sure.

Draco stares into the green eyes above him. Harry's eyes.

He feels entranced. Like someone put a spell on him. Like he has been petrified and can't move. All he can do is lay there and stare. For some reason, Draco has yet to push him off. He can't help but look up at Potter with a dazed expression.

He probably hit his head when he fell.

And then Potter's glasses fall and bonk Draco on the nose. Draco blinks slowly, his eyes widen as he realizes what is going on. He shoves Potter off and Potter rolls onto the floor slightly. Draco scrambles up. He grabs all of his stuff, his heart thundering against his ribs. What the fuck is happening to him?

Draco turns to leave quickly. His gaze goes to the boy who sits up slowly off the floor. Potter looks just as dazed as Draco feels. Draco can see the confused look on the boy's face as he looks around.

But Draco is already gone.

***

Draco can't breathe.

Panic is crawling up his throat. Its claws are closing up his airways. He shudders. Draco can't stop thinking about it. More specifically, about Potter.

Draco sits on the ground in the Room of Requirement. He had been trying to figure out the vanishing cabinet for the past few hours, but no luck. As usual.

He can't stop thinking about Potter's face hovering over his. His leg between Draco's legs.

Draco feels sick. Nausea and nerves and panic are tearing at him. He hates it. He hates Potter. He hates himself. He hates himself for ever having these thoughts.

Draco jumps up and covers the vanishing cabinet. He has to get out of here. It is suffocating. All of the pressure. From his father. From the Dark Lord. From everyone. Draco is exhausted. He is so tired.

He runs out of the room of requirement with no particular path in mind. He just keeps walking. Somehow, he finds himself out front of Slughorn's Christmas party.

Where Harry is.

He turns a corner and runs right into Filch. Filch grabs him by the collar and drags him to the party, all the while complaining about children. Draco struggles a bit but it's no use. He is already caught.

When he gets there Filch announces that he caught Draco lurking about in the corridor. Draco looks up and meets Potter's gaze. His cheeks warm and he looks away.

"He claims to have received an invite, but I know better." Says Filch with a sneer.

"Alright, alright. I was crashing the party." Draco has to come up with something and that seems like the most reasonable thing to say. Draco looks up again and notices Harry looking at him with a confused expression.

"I'll handle it from here." Professor Snape comes towards him, his black robes billowing behind him. Snape keeps a firm grip on Draco's arm as they exit the party. "What are you doing Draco? I swore to protect you. I made the unbreakable vow." Snape asks him as they get out in the hall.

"I don't need your protection!" Draco argues back. "I won't fail. I won't let them die."

"You are going to get us all killed. You cannot fail. I can see the fear in your eyes. You reek of it. Let me assist you."

"No!" Draco exclaims. "I don't need your help. I was chosen. I have to do this. I have no other choice but to complete my task."