Chapter 1: Progress

Pansy often caught a certain raven-haired boy with bright green eyes staring at a certain blond head of hair.

His eyes would roam around, looking for that pale color amongst the green of the Slytherin table. Pansy noticed that it seemed almost like an itch he needed to scratch.

And as she passes the Gryffindor table, she catches the boy do it again. It was almost like a routine. Harry had to lay his eyes on the boy and then quickly flicker them away.

Pansy focuses on the words that she hears as she slows her steps. Not in an overly obvious way. Just enough to hear a snippet of their conversation.

"You're doing it again." Pansy flickers her gaze up. Hermione speaks quietly to Potter. "You are staring off into space again, Harry. Is something the matter?"

A crease forms between the boy's eyebrows. "No, there is just a lot on my mind." He sighs and picks at his food. It doesn't seem like he will elaborate, so Pansy continues her walk toward the Slytherin table. She likes to take the long way— in case she catches some gossip. It has become a habit of hers.

When she gets to the table, the blond in question is slumped forwards with his head in his hands.

She frowns as she takes the empty seat next to him. How had it come to this? They used to be fun. They used to joke around and tease each other and laugh. Now he barely even looks at her when she speaks. Draco has changed. They all have. 

And Pansy has a feeling that they are not finished yet, that they have only just begun.

She places her hand against his back, and he flinches. He doesn't like when people touch him. Pansy assumes that it comes from abuse. She has seen the signs. But her touch is so feather-light, and he looks so terrible that she feels the urge to comfort her friend.

She brushes her hand against the soft cotton of the robe, and he shudders beneath her, not even pushing her off. He sits there, shoulders tense as she rubs his back soothingly. At least, she hopes it is soothing. She never really knows with Draco.

He has never been a very expressive type of person. But she is just trying to show him that he isn't alone. 

Her eyes trail up, and she gasps, her hand pausing its circles. Harry Potter's eyes are blazing as he stares over at them. His face wears the oddest expression. Almost like— 

No, surely not. She looks over at Draco, who lifts his head, probably in response to Pansy's surprise, and follows her eye line. Draco's eyes widen as he makes eye contact with Harry. Pansy glances between the two. Then Harry flits his eyes away and back to his friends.

Could it be? 

"What was that all about?" Blaise asks. Pansy is wondering the same thing.

Draco opens his mouth but closes it soon after. Probably to insult Potter or perhaps to come up with a smart quip in response to Blaise. But he just looks back at Potter's head and then frowns.

"I have no idea," he responds and scoffs. "Whatever, I have more important things to worry about than Potty." But his eyes trail back to where Potter sits, betraying him.

Pansy flickers her gaze between the two, a confused crease between her brows. 

Then Draco stands abruptly and rushes out of the Great Hall. Harry looks like he wants to follow Draco. How strange. How odd. 

Pansy looks over at Blaise casually. He has the same confused expression on his face. Blaise and Pansy have known about Draco's obsession with Potter for a while now. Pretty much everyone in Slytherin does. Draco doesn't hide it very well.