Chapter 52: Right Person, Wrong Time

Author's Note:

FYI, I went back and added an important detail into the beginning of the last chapter that I left out accidentally that is crucial to the story. You may want to go back and read it, it's during Harry's perspective. Sorry! :)

"H-harry?"

Draco blinks. And he blinks. He shakes his head as his eyes widen. Harry Potter is standing in front of him. He's covered in sweat and blood and he looks wrecked. Harry stumbles towards him.

"Draco?" Draco inhales through his teeth sharply. He hasn't heard Harry say his name for so long. It leaves him whirling as he stares dumbly.

And then Harry collapses into him. Draco yelps as the full weight crashes into him. He struggles to hold the passed-out man.

Draco looks around haplessly. No one bothers to help him as he tries to get a better hold on Harry. He looks down at Harry and notices how injured he is. He's covered in gashes and bruises and it looks like pieces of glass are stuck in his skin in various places.

Was he attacked? Draco feels a prickle go up his spine at the possibility. He looks around again, suddenly suspicious of his surroundings. The streets are crowded so they probably wouldn't be attacked out in the daylight and yet he feels threatened.

He huffs and then closes his eyes. Draco needs to get them out of here. They are too out in the open and it's making him nervous. He can't take any chances.

He drags Harry behind a building and looks around one last time before tightening his grip on the raven-haired man.

He wraps his consciousness around Harry like a tight blanket. Then Draco imagines where he wants to go and lets his surrounding fall away.

He holds onto Harry with everything he has, both mentally and physically. He can't risk him getting further injured. Draco's stomach roils and swims and drops as they move through space and time.

And then light bleeds through and enters his mind. He opens his eyes and slumps to the ground. All of the energy and focus required to apparate that far with someone unconscious completely drained him.

But he isn't out of the woods just yet. He isn't sure how badly injured Harry is and he is getting more worried by the second.

Draco puts the remains of his energy into lifting Harry onto the couch. Harry's limp body collapses onto the pillows and Draco slides to the floor. His heart races and his breath comes out in uneven spurts as his arms fall to the floor.

He closes his eyes for a few seconds and attempts to slow his heartrate. Then he gets on his knees beside the sofa. Being this close to Harry makes his chest feel heavy and he takes a second to really look at him. Other than being completely passed out and maimed he looks different. He looks older, wiser.

Draco gets up quickly and runs to his bathroom where he keeps his muggle first aid kit. He grabs a wet rag and the rubbing alcohol and then goes back to Harry.

Draco gets to work sanitizing Harry's face and wipes the blood off. He does the same for all of the injuries he can see and reach then he gently wipes Harry's forehead off with the wet towel.

Draco pulls his wand out of his pocket and begins the healing process. He took a few healing classes and has had to heal himself more times than he can count and so he is pretty well versed in them at this point.

His features are so relaxed as he lays there, and it makes Draco crack a small smile. His hand unconsciously reaches up and tucks a piece of hair behind Harry's ear. His hand lingers longer than it should, and Draco snaps it back towards his body when he realizes it. Harry is married- or was, Draco isn't sure. He's heard rumors that they separated but nothing definite.