Ever Afters

Harry's cheeks feel tired from smiling so much. His voice is raw from singing, and his lips are bruised from Draco's constant barrage of kisses.

Draco spins him around, and Harry bursts out in laughter as they come back together. Music dances around them as they twirl around.

Sunlight streams into the room from the window, and the plants reach towards it like they're starved. Draco yanks on Harry's hand to avoid him hitting the bookshelf behind him. They giggle at their horrid dancing and continue spinning around the room.

The happiness oozes from them and bleeds into the room. It's almost tangible how strong it is. And then the record finishes playing, and they split apart gently. Draco walks over with dramatic flair and changes the vinyl out.

A slower song plays, and Draco saunters back to where Harry stands out of breath. He hums a tune as he sways back and forth and grabs Harry's hands. Their wedding bands clink together as the metal collides. He smiles at him, and Harry melts under his gaze.

Draco pulls them closer together and wraps his arms around Harry's neck. His lips brush his cheek, and he smiles softly.

"How'd I get so lucky?" Draco asks are he buries his head into Harry's neck. "Hmm?" Harry's skin prickles as Draco's lips and hot breath brush against it.

"Because I'm a saint and gave your sorry arse another chance, that's why." Draco pulls back to stare at him in shock. Harry snorts and laughs at his expression.

"I'm hurt," Draco pouts and attempts to pull away, but Harry stops him.

"No! No, no, no." Draco sulks dramatically as Harry tries to keep ahold of him. "Ah! I'm sorry okay? I didn't mean it."

"No, no." Draco pulls away and sighs exasperatedly.

"Hey..." Harry giggles and grabs his hands. He pulls Draco towards him until their lips meet. "I'm sorry, love, I didn't mean it."

"Hmph."

"It's true, but I shouldn't have said it." Draco playfully smacks him, and Harry grins at him.

***

Okay, so it is true, Draco was an idiot. He was an idiot who almost let the love of his life slip through his fingertips. Thinking back on it, he wants to strangle his past self. He was a selfish coward who was too afraid to do anything, and it almost cost him everything.

That night, a few years ago, he showed up on Harry's doorstep, begging for forgiveness, hoping to explain, praying for a chance. A chance to right his wrongs and fix his mistakes. Merlin knows he's made mistakes.

All he knew at that moment was that he had to get Harry back. His Harry back. It was like a train had hit him and knocked the sense into him. He preached about the right person, but the wrong time, but they were all just excuses. Because, deep down, he was scared.

He was fucking terrified.

And that causes people to do terrible things. He said he never wanted to hurt Harry again, but he didn't even realize that he was hurting him at that moment.

He was terrified that he was going to lose Harry, that he wasn't good enough, that it was all just a dream, that it was a delusion. His walls were so high that he couldn't see past them.

And then it was like he woke up, and everything was clear. The fog lifted, and he felt like he could breathe again. He ran back to say how wrong he was, how utterly insane he was, but Harry was already gone.

Harry had remembered everything. Everything. And he brushed it off like it was nothing. He deluded himself into believing that it was better for everyone that they stayed apart, but he was a fool. It was like it was too perfect. He just had to fucking ruin it, didn't he?