Chapter 28: Don't Leave Me

Harry stumbles down the stairs, dazed by the memories that he just witnessed. Everything he thought he knew is wrong. He staggers through piles of books and wreckage as he mulls everything over.

He feels very strange. Like an emptiness has grown in his heart that he can't seem to fill. Every time he tries, the hole gets bigger with the image of those who have fought for him lying dead with their loved ones crying over their corpses. Every time he shuts his eyes, he sees them. The dead. He is haunted by the bodies that he waded through in the Great Hall.

He turns a corner and Hermione and Ron are huddled together at the bottom of the stairs. He can barely register the meaning of that. Then his eyes rove around, and he spots a hunched figure tucked against a pillar. It is in shadow and he can't tell who it is or if they are even alive.

He pauses for a second and then shudders as he starts walking down the stairs.

Hermione jumps up and turns around with wide eyes. "Where have you been?"

"We thought you went to the forest!"

Then Draco comes running up the stairs like a madman and tackles Harry in a hug. Harry blinks slowly and registers it. He can't bring his arms up to hug him back.

"I thought I had lost you. I thought you gave up." Draco says in a wretched voice, clogged with emotions. He pulls back and looks Harry in the eye, but Harry can barely focus on him. Draco goes to say something, but Harry interrupts him.

"I'm going there now." He pulls away from Draco gently, but Draco grabs his arm.

"What?" Draco exclaims, his eyes fill with panic.

"Are you mad?" Ron says and stands up. "No! You can't give yourself up to him."

Harry pulls away from Draco and Draco drops his hand defeatedly. Harry stares off and there is a heavy silence. Hermione breaks it.

"What is it, Harry? What is it you know?" Harry flicks his eyes up to her. His hands clench and unclench.

He shudders and his breaths come out unsteadily. "There is a reason I can hear them." He pauses and he can't seem to face Draco. He keeps his eyes on Hermione. "The Horcruxes. I think I've known for a while." Bleak understanding starts to dawn on Hermione's face. "And I think you have too."

Hermione gasps. As does Draco. "I'll go with you." She whimpers as her face scrunches up.

"No, kill the snake." He still hasn't turned to Draco, but he knows this won't be easy. Draco is just silent, and Harry is too aware of it. Why isn't he saying anything? "And then it's just him."

Hermione pounces on him with a hug as she sobs. He meets Ron's eyes who stares at him with an empty sort of acceptance. Ron presses his lips together and they reach an unspoken understanding.

Harry goes to turn away. To walk away. But a hand stops him. He brings his eyes up nervously, bracing himself. This will be more difficult than dying. At least then he will be able to see his parents.

"N-no," Draco whispers weakly. His grip on Harry's arm increases and his eyebrows knit together as tears dribble down his face. "You can't. I won't let you. You can't do it, Harry."

"I have to Draco." He goes to unclasp Draco's hand. The shorter this is, the easier it will be. He knows if he stays too long, he will break and give in. Draco has a way of convincing people and Harry knows that if he listens for too long he will fall prey.

"No, you don't." Draco pleads desperately. Harry faces him fully as Draco's other hand grabs his arm. "I know it's selfish of me, but I can't lose you. I can't live without you." He sobs and it breaks Harry's heart. Harry's features twist unbearably as he tries to hold in the tears.