Chapter 39: Raging Fire

Draco has been noticing Harry's odd behavior these last few weeks. He avoids Draco whenever he can, and at first, Draco just assumed it was because he still hated him, but then he started noticing the faint blush on his cheek and his choked responses when Draco would ask him something.

Pansy and Blaise noticed it too. Blaise suggested teasing him to see what would happen. Pansy suggested befriending him and seeing where that goes.

Draco liked Blaise's suggestion a lot better.

He smiles as a mischievous plan forms in his mind.

"Harry?" He asks in the most innocent voice he can plaster on. "Will you read the instructions for this next bit to me?"

Draco watches as Harry swallows nervously before nodding. Draco pushes the book over to him and makes sure to brush his hand against Harry's. Harry's mouth falls open softly, further confirming what Draco is thinking.

He has gotten pretty good at reading Harry, and Harry isn't very good at hiding it.

Draco stands up to stir the potion as Harry starts reading.

"Are you sure that's what it says?" Draco leans over Harry to 'check' what it says in the book. He feels Harry inhale sharply beneath him. Draco lowers his head next to Harry's, and he can feel Harry's eyes on him. He smiles and turns to look at him. He chuckles as Harry's gaze dips to his lips. "Oh, I guess it does say that. How funny."

He inches his mouth closer to Harry's, and Harry gasps. But then Draco pulls away abruptly, and Harry's head thumps onto the book. Draco chuckles as he resumes what he was doing.

"Pull yourself together, Harry. You're looking rather red." Draco grins as he stirs. He hears a groan resound from Harry. "You don't need to go to the hospital wing, do you? I could always carry you if you're feeling faint."

"Fuck off, Malfoy."

Not likely.

It's like Draco has a second chance at all of this. Last time he was the one embarrassed and ashamed of his feelings. Now it's the other way around, and Draco can't help but enjoy it.

"You know, I don't think I will."

"What happened to your polite, nervous change in personality? I liked that more."

"I decided that I'll never get what I want if I just stand by. And I'm much better like this." Draco pauses and grins unabashedly. Harry looks up from his arms, and Draco winks at him.

"I disagree. In fact, I think you were much better like that."

"No, no. This is the real me. I was just pretending to be someone I'm not. Everyone knows Malfoy's aren't timid. Slytherins don't get nervous." He pauses as he thinks about something. "Gryffindors are supposed to be brave, and yet... you're hiding in your arms like a coward. What's that all about Harry?" He asks like he has no idea.

Draco moves towards him again. He leans towards his ear and whispers, "What are you so afraid of?" Harry startles at the proximity. Draco snickers as he places his arm on the other side of him. He leans forward just a bit more and presses his body against Harry. He can see Harry's fist clench on the table.

Then he slides the book out from under Harry towards him and pulls away abruptly once again.

Harry looks up at him with wide eyes and pants as he tries to form words. "Wha-"

"I couldn't see the book, and you weren't reading it to me anymore." Draco shrugs as he moves it next to the cauldron. Harry presses his head against the table again, and Draco snickers to himself. "What? Did you think I wanted something else? Why would you think that?"