Chapter 33: Seize the Day

Harry stirs the pot. His eyes fixate on the shimmery white liquid that sloshes around in it. The room fills with the scent. It's supposed to reflect what you are most attracted to.

Mint.

Apples.

Cologne?

Harry inhales deeply, and it hits his nose like a breath of fresh air. He wracks his brain. He has no idea who it is supposed to smell like.

Then everything shifts.

Harry leans towards Malfoy and smells his robe. Just as he feared, the scents match.

"What the hell are you doing, Potter?" Malfoy asks with a bewildered expression.

Harry's face drains of blood. His mouth falls open. How does he even explain this? No matter what he says, the situation will not improve.

"Enjoying yourself, are you Potter?"

Then Harry stops seizing. He groans and clutches his head as his stomach roils. He is breathless and shaky, and he feels like vomiting.

"I-I remembered," he tells Hermione. She looks a bit hopeful. Harry is confused. Why did he feel that during the memory? It was like all he had ever known was false. He felt butterflies in his stomach from the memory, and he hated it.

"What was that?" he asks Hermione.

"A memory," she explains. "You lost some pretty important ones from the last school year." She clears her throat.

"Just tell me, Hermione." Harry pleads. "What happened? What did I forget? Just say it."

"You and Draco...dated." Harry chokes. Surely this is false. There is no way. He likes Ginny; he will date Ginny once he works up the balls to ask her.

"I like Ginny!" Harry confesses. It's as if he has to defend himself.

"Harry, I know this is a lot for you right now, and I was hoping that it would come back to you, but you need to know the truth," Hermione says. "Things changed in sixth year. You and Draco developed a friendship that became something else. Putting it bluntly, you were in love."

Harry's face flames. His eyes go wider than he thinks they ever have.

"He isn't even capable of love!" Harry groans and presses his face into his hands. His head is pounding. "This is insane. It's too much."

"Harry I-"

Harry apparates away without a second thought.

***

Harry had been sitting at this particular coffee shop for hours. He watches the busy people as they go by.

A child wails and screams as a mother attempts to calm them. The child relentlessly cries, and the mother picks them up. She holds the child as their cries die down into bubbling hiccoughs.

He looks down at the dregs of his coffee. He swirls the cup around absentmindedly. He sighs and sets it down on the table. He knows he can't stay here forever. They are probably starting to worry back at the Burrow.

He can't deny that the memory is real. There was no way it could be fabricated. But what Hermione was saying just made no sense. Him and Draco...dating? Harry wants to vomit just thinking about it. It's wrong.

Harry isn't homophobic. He just isn't interested in boys...right? Especially not Draco Malfoy. What with his smug attitude, his cockiness, and his annoyingly perfect smirk, and his stormy grey eyes that draw you in. What goes on behind them in that twisted mind?