Chapter 6: You Seem Flustered

Draco has been dreading this. He stayed up most of the night worrying. Blaise had told him to be quiet as he shuffled around in his silk sheets for the millionth time.

And as he walks into the library, he realizes how badly he doesn't want to do this. What if he accidentally slips up and says something to make Potter even more suspicious of him? It is probably the only reason why Potter agreed to this anyway.

He sees the Gryffindor at a table in a more secluded part of the library. He walks over slowly. Maybe he should turn around and leave. Potter hasn't seen him yet anyway. Draco grumbles. Right when he thinks that, Potter looks up and smiles. Smiles?

Draco slumps into the empty chair reluctantly.

"What are you smiling about, Potter?" Why is he so cheery? He is being forced to tutor his enemy; shouldn't he be a bit more upset?

"I was just surprised that you showed up. I thought you weren't going to." Potter chuckles.

"I wasn't going to, but then Pansy forced me to," Draco says with a dramatic sigh.

"Ah." Potter has a strange look on his face. Draco watches him as Draco pulls out his Potions assignment. "Are you two...dating?"

"What's it to you?"

"Just wondering." Potter clears his throat. "So, what do you have to work on?"

"Look, I'll stop you there. I don't actually need help. Potions is my favorite subject. I just...don't have time for homework right now. Just leave me alone and don't bother me so I can use this time to get it done."

"Okay." Draco brings his head up and looks at Potter in confusion. Why is he agreeing so easily? Draco figured he would put up a bit of a fight.

"Really? Just like that?"

"Yeah, I figured you would say something like that. Besides," Potter grins at Malfoy. "You always were the best at Potions. I can use this time to study as well and catch up on my homework."

"Alright..." That was easy.

"But, for the sake of appearances, we should talk a bit... so that it looks like I am helping you."

Draco grimaces but agrees all the same. It is easier than having Potter try and teach him something Draco already knows how to do.

Time passes smoothly. Neither of them has spoken up. Draco is finishing up his paper and is wondering if Potter is ever going to say something. He said that they should talk a bit for appearance's sake.

Draco finds himself staring at Potter, his paper wholly forgotten. Draco has been thinking about things lately. About his choices. Pansy's voice keeps floating into his head. 'Just try to be nicer to them. You have no reason to be mean anymore. You know better.'

But it is so easy to hate Potter. So simple. Being enemies is like second nature to them.

Draco's shoulders slump.

He has no valid reason to hate the boy. He doesn't even know why he does. Does he still? Draco doesn't think so. Draco has stopped insulting him at every turn and picking fights with him. It wasn't really because Pansy told him to stop. It was more because he didn't have the energy to go out of his way to make fun of Potter anymore.

Draco has too much pressing on him to put his attention towards that.

Draco's eyes trace Potter's lips as he chews on the end of his pen as he thinks. His gaze moves up, and he looks at the crease of concentration in Potter's forehead.