Chapter 12: No One Has To Know

Draco has been staring at the ceiling for what feels like hours. He can't sleep. All he can think about is his near-death experience and the revelations that came with it, the horrible, terrible revelations.

Then Draco feels a hand against his arm, and he starts screaming. A hand is placed over his mouth, and he panics. He thrashes in his bed. Did the Dark Lord send someone to kill him? He grabs at the person and tangles with them. He kicks and punches at them and accidentally pulls them into his cot.

A groan echoes from the person attacking him when one of Draco's kicks finds its target. 

"Shh. Draco, be quiet. The whole school will hear," whispers a voice that he has been dreading into his ear. Draco's heart is beating loudly as his chest rises and falls.

"What-" But then he hears footsteps, and he knows that someone heard the commotion. Before Draco can think better of it, he pulls Harry underneath him and presses his body against the boy. "Don't move," he whispers as he yanks the blankets up to his neck.

Then he senses the light from a wand and a huff as Mrs. Pomphrey decides that nothing is wrong. She probably assumed that Draco screamed from a nightmare or something.

Harry's face presses into his neck, and Draco shivers as his cool breath hits the skin there. They are pressed very tightly together, and Draco can feel everything. His cheeks heat.

Then the footsteps retreat, and the light goes out. Draco lifts himself with his arms and looks down at the boy below him.

"What are you doing here?" He growls. "Have you come back to finish me off? Almost bleeding out isn't enough for you?" Draco's eyes rove his face.

"No-" Harry inhales sharply and grimaces. Draco frowns down at him.

"What?"

"Your knee is digging into me," Harry says with a rather sheepish expression. Draco's ears and face heats, and he rolls away from Harry. "S-sorry. I didn't mean to- that's not what I meant to say."

Draco scoffs, rather embarrassed.

"Yeah, whatever. Just leave me alone, Potter." Draco sighs and sits up. He grimaces at the pain but manages to dangle his feet off the edge of the bed. He puts his face in his hands and breathes deeply. "I'm tired. Just leave." Draco doesn't have the energy to fight right now.

"No."

Draco turns his head sharply and narrows his eyes. "What the fuck is wrong with you? Haven't you had enough? Get out! Leave me alone."

"No, what I'm trying to say is that...I'm so sorry." Harry looks up and meets Draco's gaze with teary eyes. "I'm so sorry I did that, and I feel terrible about it. You have to understand, Draco, that I walked into that bathroom to hear you out, not turn you in. I didn't want to fight with you. I'm so sorry."

Draco looks into his eyes and senses that he isn't lying.

"How can I believe you? How can I know that this isn't part of the trick? You almost killed me."

"I know you have no reason to trust me, and I haven't given you one, but I swear I didn't mean to harm you." Harry reaches out his hand, but Draco snatches his away. "Draco, look at me."

Draco continues looking down with a blush on his cheeks. He feels a gentle hand on his chin, and his face is tilted to meet Harry's eyes.

"You don't have to talk to me right now, but if or when you want to, I'll listen."

"Why are you doing this?"

"I'm tired of being enemies. We would be much better as friends. And friends are there for you when you need them, so if you need me, I'll be there. If you need someone to talk to, someone to listen, someone to cry on, someone to laugh with, I'll be there." Draco's brain is searching for some logical reason for what Harry is saying.