31

"What were you thinking?!" Batman growled, staring me down. "You have no training." My fingers twitched, twirling Riptide around. My thumb poised under the cap, ready to flick it off at a moments notice.

It would do no good against him. Not against a mortal. But it was habit, and habits die hard. Especially ones meant to keep me alive. 

"Batman-" Diana said, only to be fixed with the same icy glare that had been fixated on me. Diana snapped her jaw shut with a click. So similar to me, her fingers fluttered, dancing in air before moving to her lasso and sliding along the braided gold. She sighed. The slope of her shoulders harshened. Batman's eyes and fury turned their focus back to me. 

"Not only could you have died, you put the entire Team at risk. There were variables you had no knowledge of, things that could have instantly ended with you and them dead. Did you want that weight on your shoulders? Knowing you got them killed?" He was seething, anger radiating off of him. Somehow, despite the fact his cowl covered his eyes, I knew his gaze had traveled from me to Robin. I glanced at Robin, noting the way he had curled in on himself. 

"Batman-"

"Stay out of this, Wonder Woman."

"No. She-"

"She did the exact thing we've been trying to teach the Team not to do: put other at risk. Her actions had everyone's lives tied to them. Had something went wrong- If something went wrong, everyone would have died. She's not trained to work with this team, and I can't imagine what thoughts were going through their heads to listen to her. They were facing people known to have mind control and cloning technologies with no way of verifying her identity. Beyond that, your hypocrisy is not fitting for a hero. You constantly argue against this Team, as proven time and time again with how adamant you were with her not taking part in missions. She was a liability to the Team and-"

"Shut up." My throat burned, leaving each word rasped and breathy.  All eyes turned to me, once again making me the center of attention. Riptide sped up in its dance around my fingers. It nearly flew away, only to be caught at last second and remain in the nervous habit. 

"What?" Batman asked.

"Shut up." This time the words came easier and I pressed my shoulders back. I tilted my chin up. "Do you really think-" A pause. "-I didn't know what I was doing?" Diana narrowed her eyes and waved her hand in front of her throat. My lips twisted up into a grin. The same one I use when talking back to gods. "I've fought things vastly stronger than street thugs, things that have nearly killed Wonder Woman. My entire life is fighting one battle after another, hoping and praying that I'll come out alive and in one piece. The only times I don't is when there's someone there for me to protect." The sharpened edges of my newly trimmed nails dug into my palms. "And you know, I only have more of a reason to make sure they stay alive."

Diana walked towards me, not so covertly placing her hand over my mouth. "Okay, can't go revealing the reasoning I told you. Gotta keep some secrets."

"Says the person who doesn't wear a mask," I said, even though the words were unintelligible and garbled and followed by Diana's "ew" as I licked her hand. She wiped it on her shorts.

"Do you have any idea how much trouble I'll get in?"

"Less than if they find out later."

"Not concerned about the League. My father won't take kindly to me letting you do this."

"Good thing you aren't letting me do this?"

"He already wants you dead."

"Exactly."

"He could kill you."

"And risk a war?" I grinned. "You forget I'm in the perfect place to  do this. I'm a weapon he really can't afford to lose." I looked at Batman. "I should probably introduce myself. My name's Percy Jackson, daughter of Poseidon. And yes, she's been lying to you for several years. Just like her brother, I'm so proud."

"I knew she looked familiar," Kaldur said. I looked back at the Team, and I walked towards them.

"Yeah, it was kinda obvious. Percy, Perseus. Don, Poseidon. Me being able to beat Wonder Woman up. Oh, and the controlling water should've really given stuff away, and holy fuck you have no idea how much I missed talking." Now that I was talking, it was like a dam had burst, with every word I hadn't said being thrown through the turbines, morphed into something else, and trying to escape. Behind me, I was all too aware of the hushed conversation between Diana and Batman. 

Kaldur's eyes were focused on me, and I raised a hand before he could salute or bow or whatever he was about to do.  He froze in place, arm raised partway. As our staredown continued, he lowered it. 

Good. I smiled. "Not necessary. I'm just a demigod."

"Savior of the world, and strongest to be born in generation." Diana tacked onto the end. 

"Dee-dee, I love you but I will shove Riptide so far up your-"

"And that's enough of that." Wally slapped his hand over my mouth. "Honestly thinking I liked you better when you weren't talking. We need to get a censor or something. Wait, you are going to stick with the Team right, babe?"

I looked at Diana. She sighed, shook her head and said, "Whatever you want. I'm not your mother, and Sally will go with what you want."

Laughing, I placed my hands behind my head. "Well then, let's get this party started."

And due to me stretching this book as long as I conceivably could have, tis the end of the book.

There's not really a lot I could've done past this point tbh, though I might do a sequel. Don't get your hopes up though, cause I have a few other books I want to start and by finishing this one I have opened up a spot for a new book that wont end up with me getting slapped.

Current options for the new books

Kaito

The Worst Most Sexist Book Ever (No Really)

Magics

Family Dies [this is the working title at the moment.]

So for the final time in this book

See yah