A Minute To Midnight

Happy New Year's gays and theys.

"I don't want to. It's stupid and I don't see the point."

"You get to drink as much and as long as you want to and it's sanctioned."

"Done." You sigh and shake your head, laughing at how easy it was to convince him. Dean Winchester is a simple man. Give him a reason to drink and he'll be there. Sam doesn't take much convincing either but he's not in it for the booze. You set snacks out in the Dean cave and turn the TV to one of the various New Year's Eve shows going on. The soft leather couch calls to you and you flop down on it enjoying the luxurious feel of cushioning. The clink of glass bottles let you know that Dean has entered the room and he huffs in annoyance when he spots you.

"Scoot the fuck over, couch hog." You sit up, pulling your knees to your chest and taking the beer that Dean offers you. You two sit in quiet companionable silence until Sam comes in and begins to make conversation with you. The clock runs itself down until there's only a few minutes to go until midnight. Sam is yawning and Dean is looking more than a little tipsy. In order to keep Sam awake you ask him about the other New Year's he and Dean have celebrated and to your surprise he tells you that they usually don't because every year is the same for the brothers.

"Kill monsters and try not to get killed." You nod in understanding and pull the brothers to their feet when the countdown begins. Dean stands unusually close to you and his face seems more sober than it was just moments ago.

"Hey, don't people usually kiss someone when the clock strikes midnight."

"Yeah, usually. Why?" You turn towards him just as the ball drops and he pulls you to him. He captures your lips in an epic kiss and you can taste the cheap beer on his tongue. The rough feel of his stubble grates across your cheeks. Never let this end. Please, Chuck, do this one thing. You kiss until your lungs feel they're about to burst. You pull away from him and the light of the tv plays across his face. The neon colors shine across those eyes and you can see the pure joy in them.

"Happy New Year's Winchester."