You Maniac

"Just put it down. We won't have to do this." You say your hands outstretched towards the hostage as if you're trying to reach them through telekinesis. "We can get you what you want. You just have to give us some time. These things take time." The criminal raises his chin in defiance and lets the hostage go pushing them towards you. You catch the person in your arms and immediately turn your back to the hostage taker pushing the person towards the safety of the perimeter. The cold press of a barrel against the back of your head is the only warning you get as suddenly instead of the negotiator, you are the hostage. The warm breath and body heat against your back and neck is startling against the chill of the spring air.

"So, what do you think you're going to do now?" His breath against the shell of your ear sends a shiver down your spine. You grip tight to the arm across your neck digging your nails into his forearm. He hisses in slight pain and presses the barrel harder up against your temple. "Cut that you and maybe you'll make it out of here alive." You ease up on the pressure behind your nails and the barrel doesn't press quite as hard into your skull.

"We're getting you what you want. Why me?" You ask breathless the fear quivering through your veins.

"Gotta take everything to my advantage don't I." You can't see his face but you imagine that his green eyes are sparkling and that there's a smirk plastered on that handsome face of his.

"Please..... Dean, don't do this." You can feel him stiffen behind you as you whisper his name.

"How do you know that name?"

"I knew who you were as soon as I set eyes on your face." Your heart races at the memories whipping through your mind's eye. "We used to cuddle in front of the fireplace and watch awful horror movies on late night TV. Remember the ones in black and white?"

"The Horror of Black Swamp was always your favorite..." He breathes his arms dropping from around your neck. You turn around to face him and look at him in his candy green apple eyes that haven't changed a day over the decade. He raises a hand to your face and runs a thumb over your cheekbone and you can't help but lean into his hand. The entirety of the crowd behind you has stopped breathing and the only sound is the two of you murmuring to each other. "I never stopped loving you, even after you left for school."

Mama I'm in love with a criminal

And this type of love isn't rational, it's physical

Under the brim of your FBI hat your eyes burn with tears as you know what's going to happen next.

"I'm sorry Dean." He looks at you with confused eyes before understanding dawns on his face and he dives for the nearest cover but it's too late. The shot cracks out and there's a spray of gore. A stifled gasp comes from the gathered civilians as you stare down at his bleeding and broken body. "I hope that the life you have in the next one is better than the one you had here." You whisper, kneeling down next to his body and closing his eyelids with your fingertips. "Alright people let's wrap this up!" You spin a finger in the air and you can see the glint of the sniper barrel disappear from a nearby window. Your agents begin to clear the scene ushering the civilians away from the barriers.

"Take it, you knew that guy?" Your right hand gal comes up and tosses her chin towards the body of your former love being covered by crime scene techs by a tarp.

"Dated in high school. First love kinda shit." Your partner nods and stares as the crime scene techs begin to take evidence of the scene.

"Your first love is dead. I say it's time to find a new first love." She jokes trying to lighten the mood. You give her an indulgent chuckle and watch as they carry his body away.

"You can only have one first love. Mine just happened to be a criminal."