Fissure

I'm sorry for being gone so long, friends. Shit kind of hit the fan here at home and I had to put everything aside to deal with it. I've also had some run ins with an unnamed government agency in the past week so things have been bad. And I'm sorry I left you. Take this one shot as an apology.

"I can't believe that's him." Dean's voice is loud in the silence of the Impala. He stares out the windshield at you, his heart hammering in his chest.

"Yeah, he looks totally different. He looks relaxed and-" Sam pauses as you turn around, throwing something out into the yard. "Normal." You go back to the flowerbed you're working in, seemingly ignoring the 3 men in the Impala parked across the street.

"I'm not sure how it will affect him. I want you to remember that." Cas says, his face looking strained and somewhat concerned. The boys don't say anything just continuing to stare out the windshield. They had been looking for you for some time. Cas had said that there was some sort of divine intervention preventing him from finding you. This made the 3 suspicious. One of the angels was playing some sort of mind game and it had everyone on edge.

You stand from the flowerbed, brushing the dirt off of your hands and wiping your forehead. You turn towards the backyard making the trek towards the shed. You suddenly jump, your hands flying to your mouth which makes Dean grab for the door handle. Sam puts a hand on him, keeping him from flying out of the Impala pistol in hand.

"You scared me Lu!" A tall figure steps out and the boys' jaws drop. Lucifer smiles and wraps you in a hug. Whatever he says cannot be heard from the Impala but it's obvious whatever he says eases your tension because your shoulders sink back down and you squeeze him tight.

"Well, we've found our divine intervention. Should've known Lucifer would be meddling in this somehow." Dean's voice is tight as he speaks through clenched teeth. He opens the door to the Impala and gets out before his companions can stop him. He reaches to his waistband making sure that his pistol is still secured there before heading for the pair.

"Dean!" Sam hisses at him, getting out of the Impala himself praying that his brother isn't going to make a scene. But Sam knows inevitably he will because if anyone had a weak spot for you it was Dean.

"Lucifer!" Dean's shout startles you and you grab onto Lucifer's arm, his sleeve clenched in your fist. "I should've known it was you! You asswipe. I'm gonna send you back to the Cage the hard way." He reaches for the small of his back, his hand on the grip of his pistol when Lucifer holds up a hand.

"Dean, listen to me. I know you're angry but I had my reasons." Dean gives him the trademark Winchester bitchface and stops. You can almost hear him say, And what reasons would those be? You have about 2.2 seconds to explain before I send your ass back to hell. "I'm in love, Dean. You know what that's like. It's like having your world opened up to possibilities that you didn't even know were there. It's like having your eyes opened for the very first time. It's a wonderful thing and I knew that I needed to have it. But there was only one way."

Dean's breath hitches and he understands. Lucifer was in love with you and figured that since you were a hunter and also with Dean there was only one way to get what he wanted. You look between the two your eyebrows furrowed in deep thought and then your eyes clear and it's like a bolt of lightning hits you.

"You look familiar. Like really familiar. Do I know you from somewhere? Clearly Lu knows you and your name sounds like something I've heard before." You bite your lip and the lines in your forehead deepen as you think about it more. Lucifer sighs like a dead man resigned to his fate.

"You know what Dean. I'll undo it. I'll do this one thing for you because I know what's like to agonize over the one you love. You'll want to prepare yourself. Maybe be ready to catch him. This isn't going to go well." Lucifer spins you toward him and the sorrow in his eyes is overwhelming.

"What's wrong Lu? What's going on? What are you going to do?" Lucifer takes two fingers and touches your forehead. Your eyes roll back into your head and your body begins to shake. Dean rushes forward to catch you as you fall, your body flailing and seizing. Your nose begins to bleed and Dean looks distraught. The other two have caught up by now and are standing behind Dean, taking turns looking down at you and glaring at Lucifer.

Your body stops shaking and you lie still. You begin to stir and your eyes open slowly, hazy with confusion. You try to speak but nothing comes out. Your eyes slide back closed and you're out.

"It will take a long time for him to recover. It won't be easy, but I did owe you that much. None of my siblings would have been able or willing to undo it for you." Lucifer's voice is dour and melancholic. He disappears in a sound of wings and no one takes notice of his sudden departure. Dean cradles you to him, standing slowly. He walks carefully back towards the Impala, and when Cas opens the backseat door he lays you gingerly down on the seat.

Sam claps Dean on the back once he's set you down and smiles.

"We got him back man! We did it!" Dean's green eyes are dark with emotion as he stands there staring at your still body.

"We got his body back but we don't know if we got his mind." And with that Dean shuts the car door, walking around to his side and climbing into the driver's seat. They sit there in tangible silence for what seems like hours until Dean turns the key to the Impala and suddenly there is noise in the world once again.

"We're gonna fix this baby. One way or another." Dean whispers to himself as much as he does to you and puts the car in gear. Driving off, they leave your life behind taking you back to your old one. What's left of it anyways.