What You'll Never Be

This one shot is based on a dream I had this week. Enjoy!

"Sir? Sir?" You snort awake, blinking your eyes and wondering Where the hell am I? The person in front of you comes into focus and you remember. Ah that's right. I'm literally in hell.

"Sorry Crowley I dozed off there for a second. I haven't been sleeping much lately. What were we talking about?" You rub your eyes and try to keep the tiredness from overtaking you. Crowley hands you a clipboard and asks you to give him just a moment. You read over the agenda for today and are startled when Crowley comes back with two large Starbucks cups in hand.

"You're a saint." You take the coffee from him and savor the aroma before taking a sip. A satisfied sigh leaves you and you raise your cup to Crowley. "Thanks. What's first today?" You prop a leg up on the throne and assume a casual pose taking occasional sips of your coffee.

The day passes by in slow agonizing fashion and you quickly run out of patience.

"No, that's my final answer. No if ands or buts. If you try me one more time I'm going to send you to Purgatory." Crowley shoos the demon away and you rub at your face. "Are they always this persistent and patience-trying?"

"More often than not yes. They get very annoying." You sigh in disappointment when you pick up your cup and it's empty. "We have one last appointment and then it's time for the daily walk around." You shrug and stretch your arms over your head, your shoulder cracking satisfyingly. You gesture for Crowley to let your last appointment in but the appointment decides to bust in themselves. Your fists clench and your heart rises into your throat when you catch sight of the dark hair, blue eyes, and tan trench coat.

"Hey Cas. What can we in hell do for you today?" Cas's face goes through a morph of emotions. He goes from angry to surprised to relieved to confused in quick succession.

"You have been missing for 6 months. This is where you've been?" You blink at him for a moment and look over to Crowley.

"It's been 6 months on the surface already?" He nods solemnly watching Cas with a careful side eye. You stand from the throne, your limbs stiff. "Alright give me a minute. I'll pack a bag. I at least need some clothes and my toothbrush. Come on Crowley. I'll brief you." Crowley follows you into the back of the throne room where a single door stands. You open it and walk into the adjoining suite. You grab a bag from the closet and begin to throw things in. Crowley takes them right back out and folds them neatly putting everything back in the bag.

"Why are you going? I thought you liked it down here." You sigh and grab some of your stuff from the bathroom shoving it in pockets and zipping them up.

"It's not that I don't like it down here C it's that I have a deal with Lucifer. Six months down here with him, six months on the surface with the boys. It's like the myth about Persephone, Hades, and Demeter. C can I confide in you?" Crowley raises an eyebrow and gestures for you to continue. "I think I'm in love.......with two different people........ at the same time."

Crowley doesn't say anything for a long moment. He continues to reorganize your bag as you sift through stuff you might need. You pull a couple of Lucifer's shirts out of the closet and hand them to Crowley knowing that he'll fold them neatly for you.

"I think that's a very complicated situation that you'll have to navigate carefully. Dean will definitely give you trouble and Lucifer," He pauses for a moment, thinking. "His Majesty is complicated but patient and understanding, especially when it comes to you. I've never seen such a soft spot." You finish packing your bag and pull your favorite jacket from its place on your desk chair. You pull it on, savoring the scent of Lucifer's favorite cologne. You grab a baseball cap and put it on shutting the door to your bedroom. You walk towards Castiel who is looking nervous and impatient.