Struggle to Breathe

I'm sorry I've been gone for so long. I'm tired and I haven't really had the time to do anything but work and sleep. But here's a short one to tide you over.

You've had the same nightmare every night for years and tonight is no different. You startle awake drenched in a cold sweat and literally roll out of bed, collapsing to the floor in a heap. You can still feel the press of the water all around you as it slowly caves your lungs in and you sink further and further away from that warm sunlight. The air that your lungs crave is so far above that you'll never reach it and just as your eyes begin to drift closed you always wake up. Always in a pool of sweat, and you always fall to the floor. There are permanent bruises on your knees from the fall you take every single not at 3 AM on the dot.

"It's ok baby. The water isn't here." Dean's warm hands wrap around your biceps pulling you upright and sitting you back on your haunches. "I'm here and the water isn't. You can breathe. You're not going to drown ok? Not on my watch." He gestures for you and the nightly ritual of him rocking you back to sleep on the floor begins. Cradled in his arms it feels like nothing can touch you. The water can't harm you, no monsters, no ghosts, no anything can get to you while Dean Winchester is here and you know that. That doesn't make it any easier though.