Echoes Of My Pain

Your screams bounce off of the trees and a flock of birds takes flight. You sink to your knees and press the heels of your hands into your eyes. The tears keep flowing and you can't stop them. You haven't been able to stop them for hours now. You fall onto your side and curl into a ball. The song of birds and the rustle of leaves lull your sobs into quiet sniffles. The crunch of a stick underfoot perks your attention but, you don't even bother to lift your head.

"We've been looking everywhere for you. What are you doing out here?" Sam's quiet voice breaks the fog of your exhaustion. You raise your head to look at him and you see both of the brothers. You rise to a sitting position and rub your eyes. "Are you ok? You're covered in scratches. Come on let's get you back to the bunker." Sam is feeling your obvious silence with his nervous words. Dean is silent and you can feel him stewing. The anger will surely burst anytime now and you don't want to deal with him when it does. You don't have the energy to do it and all you would like right now is to lay down in your soft bed. Your legs don't want to support your weight and you fall back to your knees when Sam tries to pull you up.

Dean silently steps in and picks you up off of the ground. Your arms come up and wrap around his neck. You're so tired, dirty, and overstimulated that you start to slip. A tiny whine escapes your lips and Dean holds you closer. He had told you before that he almost has a sixth sense as to when you're slipping into your little headspace. He shifts you in his arms until you're facing each other and you bury your face in his neck. He holds an arm underneath your butt and his other arm cradles the back of your head.

"It's ok baby. Papa's here." The walk back to the bunker is a blur in your memory. You don't know how you got back other than the fact that Dean was carrying you. You hold on tightly to him when he tries to set you down and he laughs quietly. "I can't stay mad at you when you're this cute. It's impossible. Come on baby, let Papa put you down so we can get you cleaned up and changed. You got awfully icky when you were outside on the ground." You look up at him with wide, innocent eyes.

"Icky?"

"Yes, baby icky. Now do you want to take a bubble bath? Would that help you feel better?" You seem to think about it for a moment and then nod. "A bubble bath for my bubbly boy. How's that sound?" You look down at yourself and then back up at him.

"Am not bubbles."

"I know, baby. It's just a figure of speech." You don't say anything after that and Dean takes that as permission to set you down. He sets you down on the bathroom floor and starts the bath water. Throwing various bath toys in from underneath the sink, he pours a generous amount of bubble bath in and the water begins to foam. The bubbles capture your small amount of attention and you stare in amazement as they begin to build. Dean helps you out of your forest debris covered clothes and into the bathtub. You splash him almost immediately but he was prepared and uses the shower liner as a shield."You didn't get Papa that time baby bee. Nice try." You pout just a little, but soon forget all your troubles as you play with the toys bobbing along in the water. Dean washes your hair with vanilla scented shampoo and you giggle when he makes your hair into a mohawk. He grabs his phone to take a picture and snaps a quick one before you mess it up. Your eyes start to droop and Dean knows that he doesn't have long before you're dead to the world. He hurries your bath along despite your sleepy protests. You nod off while he's trying to get you toweled off and he has to catch you before you fall. He goes as gently and as quickly as he can to get you dried off and in PJ's. He knows that you'll appreciate his choice of nighttime apparel when you wake up. Your favorite of his t-shirts and a pair of dinosaur pajama pants.

"Come on baby bee. Time for bed." You snuggle closer into him and let out a content noise. Dean knows it won't end well if he sets you down by yourself so he sits him down in the favorite rocking chair. He rocks both himself and you to sleep. Snoring gently, the two of you regain something that was lost before. A bond reknits itself together and the deep sadness that had seated itself in your heart fades away into the ether.