Are We Really Gonna Do This?

This is based off of a recent experience I had with my mother. Prom shopping with a transphobe sucks ass.

You stare blankly at your mother as she holds up the most hideous piece of fabric known to man.

"Do you think that I'm ever going to wear that? Like ever?" Your mother's hold on the dress droops and the fabric falls to the floor. Her face twists up in rage and you roll your eyes.

"We have been trying to pick out a dress for 3 hours! Just pick something already!" You sigh heavily and try to hold in the wave of anger that you've had washing over you the entire time you've been here.

"For the last time mom. I am not wearing a dress and there is nothing you can do or say to convince me to wear one. If not wearing a dress means I don't get to go to prom then I guess I'm not going." You flip the lock on the dressing room door and throw the door open. Walking out of the dressing room you brush by an employee who seems startled at your outburst. You can hear the employee and your mom talking behind your back. You step out into the mall concourse startling a group of teenage girls. You walk a ways down the concourse and sit down on an empty bench. Your head drops and you press the heels of your hands into your eyes, struggling not to burst into tears. It's a constant fight with her and you feel like you're always on the losing end. It doesn't matter what you say to her, she always complains that you will always be her little girl and that you should just wear a dress to make her happy. I'm not a girl mom. I never have been and I never will be.

"Hey baby. What are you doing here all by yourself?" The familiar voice makes you look up and your knight in shining armor has arrived. Dean is standing there, holding a few shopping bags, while his little brother Sam stands awkwardly off to the side. You smile at Sam and pat the spot next to you. He pads over and takes the seat next to you. You gesture for Dean to sit on the other side and he does, sitting his shopping bags between his legs.

"What's going on? Your eyes are all red." That simple question has the lump in your throat rising to the surface and your eyes go blurry with tears. "Oh, baby don't cry. It's ok." He wraps his arm around you and pulls you close into him. "Is it your mom again?" You nod. "Prom dress shopping again?" You nod again and he sighs. "When is she gonna realize that it's never gonna happen?" You shrug and try to ignore the fact that you can hear your mom calling your deadname loud enough for the entire mall to hear. You wince and turn your head into Dean's chest trying to ignore her.

"There you are! I've been looking everywhere for you! Oh hello Dean dear. Maybe you could talk some sense into her. She refuses to wear a dress for prom. How absurd is that?" You can feel Dean's chest rise as he takes in a deep breath.

"Ma'am I'm only going to explain this to you once." His tone makes you look up and his jaw is clenched tight, his eyes bright with anger. He stands up, his voice rising as he speaks. "You may not like the fact that your son is trans, but that's not going to change the fact that he is. You're either going to have to accept that and move on or get out of his life. You're causing nothing but agony for the both of you especially for him. I'm sick of watching him tear himself apart because he thinks his mother hates him. You either accept him with open arms or leave him the fuck along because I won't have you treating him like this." Your mother looks shocked. Her mouth is slightly agape and her hands have uncurled from the fists they were clenched in. "Now, you have a decision to make. Are you going to call him your son or is he coming to stay with me?"

She blinks at him and opens her mouth to say something but snaps it shut again. Her eyes turn hard and they lose all emotion.

"It looks like I won't have a child living with me anymore." Her face screws up and she spits on you.You rub at your face with your sleeve, her saliva warm and wet on your face.

"Dean, I don't think I'm going to be going home with her."

"Yeah babe? What gave you that idea?" A small crowd has gathered at this altercation and the crowd begins to boo and hiss at your mother. They harass and harang her until security arrives to break it up. The tears begin to fall in rivulets this time and you stare after your mother's retreating back feeling a part of you die away. Two hands take yours, one on each side. Sam and Dean Winchester hold hands with you as you mourn the loss of your parent and the only life you've ever known.