Chapter Sixteen

JENNIE

The rain is pouring down heavily as I run into it without thinking of being sick or anything. I can't help but cry, pitying myself at the same time. My heart breaks every time I think about her. Sometimes, I really wonder when I could move on and forget her like I used to say to my friends.

I never know.

I don't want to know, actually when, because deep down, I know I will never forget her no matter how hard I try. Why am I so sure, you might ask?

Well, four years already.

For four years, I have been trying to forget her face, her glasses, her stupid and silly jokes that I love the most, but I can't. Her voice still echoes in my ears, and her face is visible in my mind. I never forget her even a day or a second.

That makes me cry even harder.

"Jennie," Someone from behind gives me an umbrella as I turn back and look up to see his face.

The rain somehow falls on my eyes to wash away my tears. No matter how much I hate cold season, I never hate rainy season because she loves the rain, and I can't hate something that she loves.

She told me that rain is her favorite thing.

See.

I can't even stop thinking about her even though someone else is not her standing in front of me and worrying about me at this very moment.

"Why are you standing in the rain? Are you a five-year-old?" He asks, trying to amuse me. For these past four years, Mino always does his best to make me fall for him even though I have told him a hundred times already that I will never, and he knows why, but he doesn't give up.

He even studied the same major as mine, interior designer as for Jisoo and Rosé are more on the business things, which reminds me again of what major that person might have chosen. I sigh, blaming myself mentally for always thinking about her.

"It's none of your concern, Mino." I state, walking away, but he grabs my wrist, putting the umbrella in my hand, "At least take this..." He mumbles as I take it and continue to walk to the parking lot.

"But, you always are my concern, Jennie Kim." He shouts behind me as I try my best not to hear the sadness from his voice.

Mino has changed.

He stops being the arrogant boy we know in high school anymore. Since the first year in college, he became mature. Never did something, or said something considered flirtatious or not respectful to me. He doesn't take women as playthings like in high school, nor did he have a girlfriend in college, which I don't know why and don't want to know why at the same time.

He became conscientious and hardworking like I am. I guess that led to every girl in our school glancing at him here and there. Funny how he changes so much, and all those girls became flirtatious to him like he did back in high school.

He is the idol for all those girls, and I am the one who is being chased by him all along, but I can't take him for granted because I know it would hurt him at the end of the day.

"Give him a chance. He is a good boy. He will take care of you." One of my classmates always said to me when she saw Mino running around and taking my bag with him like a goofy boy without caring about all the glares I got from those envious people.

"I have someone in my heart already."

"Will that person come back to you in the future?" She asked in confusion, catching me off guard at her innocent question.

When I shook my head in uncertainty, she grabbed my hand, eyes shooting me with hope. "If you are not sure, then there is a high chance that there will be no future between you and that person. My sister told me that if someone loves you, they won't put you in a state of uncertainty no matter what. She talked of her own experience, Jennie. She was waiting for her boyfriend to return until a few years ago, she heard he got married with two kids already." Somi said as she left, not uttering any other word after that.

Somi was my partner in one of the assignments. Even if we weren't really close, Somi was always the serious type. Her intelligence and wisdom are noticeable.

My tears continue to fall as the rain won't stop pouring all over me now. The umbrella is still in my hand, but I don't have any energy to even think about my health now.

"Jennie." I halt. "Go home, Mino." I hiss, anger exploding. I am not angry with him, but at myself more.

"I am worried."

"I'm okay." I wipe the tears angrily before turning to face his anxious face.

He steps forwards, grabbing me by my shoulders, and hugs me for the first time. This is the first bold move he has ever done to me. I want to push him away, pull back, and hit him for touching me, but I have done none of those things. Instead, I cry harder on his shoulder.

"Let it out, Jennie. Let your pain out. Remember, after this painful night, I won't let you suffer alone again." He continues to soothe me until the rain stops, and we are soaking now. He finds us a bench steps away from where we were standing before handing me his denim jacket that he just took out of his car nearby.

"I'm sorry-"

"Not your fault." He smiles softly, handing me his handkerchief as I take it, wiping my remaining tears.

A few moments after, he kneels before me. His eyes do not leave mine with his hands on my knees, "Jennie, can you at least give me a chance?"

My eyes close, trying to think of the best response, but right now, I don't know whether it's because of either alcohol or my anger, I answer impulsively with a nod in agreement.

His eyes widen in happiness, the contrast of mine, but I don't want to fight anymore.

Somi might be right.

No one loves you enough and still has the gut to keep you in uncertainty all the time.

I should let her go.

Maybe, that's the thing I should have done a very long time ago.