Chapter Thirty-Eight

LISA

"You can't divorce my daughter." Mr. Kim, my father-in-law yells at me while pacing around his office as if I have done something so crazy when I just politely come here to tell him that Jennie and I will be separated.

I don't understand why, though.

Actually, I give his daughter the freedom both of them want. Why is it so hard to understand my goal, right?

I scoff, "I think that's also what you wanted. Now, it's your chance to get your daughter back now. Perfectly like before. We have never done anything more than kissing, anyway."

"I never said I want her back since you got married to her. Don't get me wrong, I love my daughter, but I know she's your happiness." He, for the first time, knows how much Jennie means to me.

How am I so thrilled to hear him saying these words now?

"That's why I want her to be happy." I explain, feeling a lump in my throat.

"By divorcing her?" He asks in disapproval. "You know you love her, and I know she loves-"

Clearing my throat, I cut him off. "She doesn't love me anymore. She has somebody else." I can't help but laugh a bit before adding enthusiastically. "Funny, eh? When we were in love with each other, you wanted us to be separated. Now, you finally reach your goal. She loves another, and it's not me."

Mr. Kim looks bitter, again for the first time, in what I said.

"You don't understand, Lisa. The reason I easily agreed with your offer is because I know you could make my daughter happy. It's not solely because I need you for my business. I am sorry for the things I said a long time ago to you, Lisa. I wish I could fix it. I wish you could make my daughter happy again. Because without you, Jennie is just my daughter. She doesn't look happy at all even if there is someone else besides you. Deep down, I know she never forgets you nor stops loving you. These past several years, she is just a human without feelings."

Shaking my head, I refuse to believe in what he had said. Not entirely, but the last part. "She hates me now. She hates me because I am the reason for her relationship falling apart. She loves another, and I am just a shadow now." I try my best to not break down in front of this man.

Clearing my throat, I add. "Alright, I just come here to tell you. The divorce paper is with me." Then, I walk to the door and about to leave, but stop to tell him one last thing. "Don't worry, I won't take over your company or anything. We are still good. Business-wise." Then, I leave without waiting for his response.

As I am about to leave the entrance of his company, he grabs my arm. "Wait, Lisa."

Well, I don't know his following me.

I look at him for more explanation, "What?"

"I want you to give my baby girl some time to think. I am sure she will figure out whom she truly loves. Don't abandon her. I want you to wait some more, please. You have been waiting for so long. Just be a little more patient." Mr. Kim is literally pleading me to not divorce his daughter now.

I am so shocked beyond belief. "You are joking. You hate me so much." I accuse him by speaking the truth.

"I was wrong. I do not hate you now. Actually, I want you for her. Give her some more time, please daughter-in-law." Then, he hugs me tightly. "I am sorry if I made you feel bad about yourself before."

I give him a slight smile as we pull away. "Thanks, father. Just a little more." He grins with satisfaction as I walk to my car. I don't know how long I can endure the pain, but I will try my best.

Not knowing what to do, I go straight to the bar. Drinking is not good for solving problems, I know. Most people think it's a bad idea to drink when you are sad. But, what can we do when it helps you numb your pain at least a little bit, right?

As I sit on the barstool, the bartender comes to me, if I am not wrong, with a smirk on her face. "What do you want, honey?" She asks sensually, touching my arm as I whip her hand away. "I am not whom you think I am."

"Really?" She challenges. Still not bothered by the fact that I just hit her hand away.

"Yep." I answer bluntly. "I don't know you, and you shouldn't come here to touch random women out there." Then, she looks down a bit as her face saddens, but then she changes instantly as if she doesn't want to show me her vulnerability.

That's right.

No one wants to show anybody their vulnerability, not to mention a stranger. "I am sorry." I look up as she returns her smile. "No, it's okay."

Then, she bites her bottom lip nervously before asking. "What do you want?"

"You don't have to do all the stuff you are doing to me now. I mean, I still buy your drinks. I just need drinks." I assure her, hopefully she understands my intention here.

"Okay. I am sorry,"

"You know, we don't need to continue to say sorry to one another again and again. Take me a drink that is also your favorite. Make it five." I order.

She widens her eyes, then nodding afterward.

Bringing the drinks back, I stop her before she could go anywhere.

"Drink with me?" I offer.

"Only one?" She timidly agrees.

"Two for you; three for me." I push two shots to her before downing one shot in a gulp.

"Deal." She smiles, sitting in front of me.

Then, we drink in silence before she asks something that I am so afraid to answer.

"Heartbroken?"

I look away before nodding.

"You look like a cool woman. Who is the stupid woman that hurt you?"

"She's not stupid. It's not her fault."

She frowns in confusion as I continue to explain. "I left her. Now, she's in love with someone else."

"And, you come here to move on?"

"I come here to think whether I should let her go or not."

She touches my arm again, but this time, I don't brush her away. I let a stranger comfort me in a way that I think it's not really bad if I think about it now. I need a friend, and here she is. "Look, uh?" She furrows a brow in question.

"Lisa."

"Okay, Lisa. I am Somi. I am not your friend, and I have no right to judge you or your relationship. But, based on what I have experienced... if you stay, and it hurts both of you, let go. It's painful, I know. But, it's nothing more painful than to stay and suffer all the time."

"Well, Somi. Thanks a lot. But, somebody just told me to be more patient and wait. So, maybe I just give her some more time."

"What kind of relationship you guys have now?" She asks.

"We are married."

Her face becomes more and more sympathetic as if she really has been in that situation before. "Complicating, then." She downs a shot as I follow her after that.

"Yeah, it is."

I smiled, and we talked until midnight before I decided it's the best time to be back home.

Home.