-0.2 nerd squad and dash

chapter two!

ENTERING THE BUILDING approximately ten minutes before school started, Alex considered walking everyday. Better company, less smelly, and got there in just about the same time. She was, however, sad to say goodbye to Miguel— seeing as he didn't have the same homeroom as her. She figured that it might be the last time they talked, but hoped against that probability as she always did.

Her first class after homeroom was AP algebra— aka, her least favorite class ever, simply because she didn't like math. Who did? Psychopaths, that's who— and contrary to popular belief, Alex was a sane human being. Plus, it was Monday, first thing in the morning. She had no reason to enjoy being in that class. Even her teacher was rude. She ending up being late to that class— having to receive a phone call from her mother's doctor updating her on the next appointment.

Her seating partner was a girl named Mya Orlando, a pretty blonde girl who was as two-faced as one could get. Being friends with girls like Moon and Yasmine made it easy for Mya to pass as a rich girl— even though Alex knows good and well that Mya borrows her clothes from Moon and lives in a trailer park. Scoffing as Alex sat down, Mya shot Alex a mean look. She already had her textbook open to a random page, pretending to pay attention to what the teacher was saying. Alex slumped back in her chair, looking up at the board before flipping to the right page jn her own textbook. Mya then grinned as she turned back on the brunette, "You're usually here a few minutes earlier. What happened, your mom have another emergency medical crisis?"

And while if they were rephrased a bit, her words would sound kind of like she cared. Like she was genuinely curious or worried as to why Alex was a few minutes late— but that simply wasn't the case. Mya's voice was snobby, and her tone was taunting— as if rubbing it into Alex's face that her mom had Alzheimer's. It was a bit cruel, but so was the fact that Mya was the one who started the rumors about Alex being her father's mirror. Alex ignored the question, her jaw clenching a bit as she tried to tune the girl out and pay attention to the class. Even before— and especially after —the accident, Alex never has liked violence of any kind but Mya Orlando was the one person who made her want to commit a felony.

"Oh, or was that a call from your dearest father? Let me guess, you two have yet another murder planned. Who is it this time? An aunt? Uncle? Cousin?" Mya pushed on, a small smirk playing on her face. Alex didn't respond, though, and it took Mya a couple more tries before realizing that Alex had put her earbuds in and was loudly listening to the Beatles' All You Need Is Love.

Scowling, Mya decided to give up for the moment, much to the relief of Alex. The rest of the class went by semi-smoothly, which was the best she could hope for at this point. She kept checking her phone, though, seeing if the doctor had called back about her mom. She hated being anxious, especially about important things, so she just wanted to get the phone call and be done with it. She also needed to text Daniel LaRusso to tell him that she needed a day off to take her mom, whenever that would be.

Her next class went by quite a bit easier, considering she didn't have Mya in that class. The new kid, Miguel, also came in— and judging by the look on his face, he already knew about the rumors. He even looked what seemed to be a tad bit scared when he was assigned to sit next to her, shooting random glances at her throughout the class. There goes my new friend, thought Alex, scoffing internally. Just another reason to despise Mya Orlando. And this school. Pushing her black curls out of her face, she sighed. Deciding that this time she wouldn't let Mya win— that this time she would try—, she turned to Miguel; trying to out on a confident face but failing miserably, "The rumors aren't true, y'know."

Miguel turned to her, wide-eyed. He hadn't expected her to talk, as the teacher was in the middle of a lecture. But the two were sitting in the back of the class and Alex did whisper. He quickly shook off the shock and and laughed lowly. "I know."