-1.2 miguel

chapter twelve!

ALEX AND MIGUEL left the dojo around an hour and a half later. Mr. Lawrence said he would've drive them back to the apartments, but he had to stay behind and take care of a few things— and also probably get blackout drunk in celebration of his accomplishment. Apparently, Cobra Kai was now going to be able to participate in the All Valley Karate Tournament. Alex didn't understand why there was a whole tournament just for karate, but Miguel seemed excited so she went along with it.

The two walked in comfortable silence, the streets dark and eerie. The street lamp lights reflected through the windows of the closed shops that they passed, being the only source of light besides the flashlights on their phones. Alex was still freezing, seeing as how it was the middle of the night and it was winter. She wished she had grabbed one of Noah's hoodies— although she was from New York, a naturally cold place, she was not used to wearing dresses. She usually wore jeans and a t-shirt with her Yankees over-shirt, so now her arms and legs were both cold.

Miguel must've noticed this; about ten minutes into their walk he stopped abruptly, his eyes widening like he had just noticed something. "Holy crap, I just realized you're wearing a dress. Do you want my flannel? You must be cold."

"But then you'll be cold?" she told him, shaking her head.

"But I'm wearing a long sleeve underneath— and pants. Here," he retorts, pulling the flannel off and handing it to her. She sighs, shoving it back into his arms.

"Thanks but no thanks," she gives him a smile, making him grin and throw the flannel at her. She scowls, giving him a look before signing in frustration, giving in at the innocent look he was giving her. "Fine. I'll wear it."

"Good," he grinned, Alex rolling her eyes as she pulled on the shirt. "So what did you mean when you said that you told off Noah's racists parents?"

"I meant it pretty much how I said it. And I also said kinda. I'd like to think that I stayed pretty calm for the situation," she nodded, seemingly trying to convince herself more than Miguel. She knew that most people would've reacted worse to how Noah's parents had treated her, but she couldn't get the look of fear out of her head. They didn't even know about her dad, and they were still afraid. What was it about her that made her so scary? She didn't want to be scary.

"Oh, well what did Noah say?" asked her best friend. He knew that Noah wasn't a very outspoken teen, but if he hadn't stood up for Alex— especially about this— he'd be pretty mad.

"He shouted a bit," she told him after a moment of thinking. She'd been trying to forget most of what had happened. "Asked his dad what the hell was wrong with him."

"Oh, that's pretty bold. Especially for Noah," replied Miguel, impressed. The two approached the apartment complex with their keys in hand, ready to go their sperate ways for the night.

Alex bid goodbye to her friend, giving his flannel back to him with a grateful look. Miguel didn't go inside his apartment, though; he just stood there and waited. He wanted to make sure that she got inside okay, especially with some of the people that live around where they did.

Alex got only a few steps into her house before she was shoved back out a cursed by her mother. Damn. Miguel grabbed her arm, pulling her back as the door slammed in her face. "C'mon, you can stay at mine."

"Are you sure? Will your mother mind?" she asked, staying where she was. Carmen Diaz had grown very used to Alex coming over during the day and on the weekend, but she'd only came over once or twice at night; seeing as she'd only stay the night when Miguel made her. Sometimes she was able to talk him into letting her stay outside.