-1.5 date night and heartbreak

chapter fifteen!

"DO YOU REALLY think they're gonna crash Yasmine's party?" asked Noah as he drove the down the interstate. The two had packed their clothes before leaving, meaning they could go straight from the park to the beach instead of having to go home and change. Alex shrugged, her white tank-top and black jeans covering up her once-piece bathing suit.

"I wouldn't doubt it," she told him, looking back at the basket in the backseat. "I mean Yasmine deserves it, sure, but isn't it just gonna cause more drama? By the way, what exactly did you pack to eat? I forgot to take lunch break today, so I'm getting pretty hungry."

"Hold your horses," responds the light-haired boy. His facial features were soft and adoring, as they always were when he was with Alex. "You'll see when we get there."

"Youse see's when we get 'dere," she mocked, her Brooklyn accent showing more than usual. Noah's eyes flickered between her and the road, amused. Alex slapped a hand over her mouth, letting out a small giggle. "Dear god, I sounded like a Newsie."

"You've watched Newsies?" asked Noah in surprise. "I didn't peg you for the musical type."

"Oh, Casey got me into 'em. Disney, Broadway— all the works. Newsies is my favorite, though," she told him, thinking back on the musical. "The movie, not the broadway version."

"Yeah, why's that?" asked Noah, although the answer was obvious. Anyone who liked the broadway version better than the original is out of their mind. He just liked hearing her talk about musicals— and this was obviously a once in a lifetime opportunity.

"Well, first of all, broadway cut the scene where Jack met Davey's parents, which was pivotal in showing how the absence of his own just flourished his dreams of going to Santa Fe," she told him, sitting up straighter in her seat as she turned to him, "It also made Jack's character more realistic when it came to him giving in to the bribe— in the broadway version they make it out as him trying to save everyone else and protect them, when in the movie it shows that he did it for himself. That makes more sense to me because of how he's orphaned and on his own— he's not used to having to look out for anyone else. They also basically just said goodbye to Denton's character, and Spot was featured a lot less. The only thing I can say I liked better about the broadway version is how Crutchy got more screen time."

"Oh, wow," said Noah, laughing at how serious she took this. "You've thought about it a lot, huh?"

"Nah, just a little," she told him, sitting back in the seat and crossing her arms over her chest. "What about you, do you have a preference?"

"I like the movie too," he nodded, "But, like you said, the broadway did feature Crutchy even more, which I think is a big win because he's my favorite."

"Crutchy's a good character," she agreed. "But Spot Conlon is my favorite."

Noah scrunched up his nose, sending the girl an odd look. "Spot Conlon? Why?"

"Well, he is from Brooklyn, which earns points. He's iconic with that slingshot, and his red suspenders are a fashion statement," she explained, grinning. "Not to mention the whole, "Never fear, Brooklyn is here!" scene, which is just perfect."

"But Crutchy is so sweet," retorts Noah, "And Spot is... well, the opposite. Kinda violent actually— aren't you against that?"